Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2015/10/28 02:32:54 UTC

Commit signing?

Hi,
There are some internal debate about how to ensure provenance in a Git and
GitHub world. I can't say how that discussion is going, but one idea that
surfaced, which we (the projects) can do regardless of the total outcome,
to improve code provenance is to sign our commits.

I first note that IntelliJ doesn't support for commit signing directly.

Secondly, http://mikegerwitz.com/papers/git-horror-story (I hope I typed
that correctly) is a must read.

In that paper, I am specifically talking about Option #3 (as I doubt that
we (Zest) will get too many pull requests that are many commits long)

This seems to be something that can be introduced incrementally and at slow
pace, which is something we like at Apache. Trust enforcement and all of
that can be done later, and perhaps other projects will lead the way...

I would like to hear what people think about this...

Cheers
Niclas

P.S. I am now settled in, in Shanghai and just started to work on a new
Zest based app on my spare time, so activity should start to pick up again.

Re: Commit signing?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niclas,
after reading so many emails on Git and code provenance (and maybe
lost some email ...) I fear to introduce only a small complexity
without too much gain ... anyway I think that we could try something,
if not in main repository in zest-sandbox.

I have a Code Signing PGP key with my Apache ID that's still valid; to
begin we could exchange our public key between us :-) . And then add
to KEYS file in Zest source repository.
My Key ID is: F9EDAF10 , note that's published at MIT Key Server
(should be valid, please tell me if not because it's not clear); you
can find it even here (two asc files but it's the same key):
http://people.apache.org/~smartini/
I put here in attach here just for convenience.

Niclas, your ?
Paul and others ?

Stay well.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Commit signing?

Posted by Paul Merlin <pa...@nosphere.org>.
Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> Drawback, more work...

Sure. Or we state that we require external contributions to be squashed.

Re: Commit signing?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Drawback, more work...

--