Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Good Guy <xf...@hotmail.com> on 2013/02/02 02:16:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: "Official" apache win32 binaries for 2.2.23

I had always believed that Apache Foundation had committed "harakiri" in
not providing the Win32/Win64 binaries because they are very popular for
developers of CMS packages.  Now you have given us the true reason of why!.

Now whoever was doing it, can he not post a final document containing
instructions so that somebody else can takeover the responsibility.  I
don't mind doing it but whenever I try do build it in VS2010, I always
get errors and so I gave up.  even VS 2012 is out now and it is a very
good package to create fast binaries.

It is in the interest of everybody if Windows binaries are provided to
increase the userbase of Apache/Php/MySQL.

On 01/02/2013 15:28, Sharpe, G wrote:
> Something similar to this got brought up not that long ago, and it seems to, well, not elicit as polite responses as one might expect from some people in the thread. Before that happens, I'll post what I posted last time, hopefully this will explain things;
> "I think what Eric is getting at is that the Apache Foundation doesn’t provide any *official* win32 binaries – the ones that are available for download are actually ones done by a community member and then merely hosted on the foundations website.
> Presumably the lack of 2.4 binaries is because whoever was doing them has stopped?"
>
> Now as you may have guessed this was to do with 2.4 binaries, but the lack of 2.2.23 binaries will be for the same reason.
> Apache Lounge would be your best bet to get a binary it seems.
> Hope that helps.

Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk
Website: http://html-css.co.uk
Email: http://mytaxsite.co.uk/contact-us

Re: [users@httpd] Re: "Official" apache win32 binaries for 2.2.23

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Michiel Beijen <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Op 2 feb. 2013 02:16 schreef "Good Guy" <xf...@hotmail.com> het volgende:
> I don't
>> mind doing it but whenever I try do build it in VS2010, I always get errors
>> and so I gave up.  even VS 2012 is out now and it is a very good package to
>> create fast binaries.
>
> As far as I know, the 32 bit binaries that were made available previously
> were compiled with MS Visual Studio 6, which is about fifteen years old by
> now. I still have copy of that, though. The instructions are a part of the
> Apache documentation: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/platform/
>
> So it would be still possible to build it yourself although the defined way
> includes using a proprietary and ancient compiler, which is no longer sold.
> And of course, sites like Apache Lounge and Apache Haus also distribute
> their own binary builds, including 64 bits.

There is also an issue that all the 'parts' of the webserver that you
assemble together (Apache, mod_php, etc) must be compiled with
compatible compilers. mod_php built with VS 2012 will not work with
httpd built with VC 6.

I believe* this issue came to a head because users began complaining
about this issue. The guy who selflessly had been creating the
'official unofficial' builds with VC 6 was suddenly getting grief and
issues from people complaining that he wasn't doing it quite how they
wanted.

Given that what he was doing (and was prepared to do) was not what
they wanted, it made sense to stop providing any build, and instead
point people towards 'stack' distributions of httpd and php etc from
places like ApacheLounge, since this will actually give them what they
want.

This should also explain why documenting the old build instructions is
not overly useful - they would document a build system that doesn't
build what the users wanted.

Cheers

Tom

* 'I believe', because I don't use windows personally, and so issues
like this are really only noise to me, I've not cared to look in great
detail.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: "Official" apache win32 binaries for 2.2.23

Posted by Michiel Beijen <mi...@gmail.com>.
Op 2 feb. 2013 12:57 schreef "Nick Kew" <ni...@webthing.com> het volgende:

> When you install a binary through apt, pkg, yum, or any of those systems,
> what you are installing is a third-party build from some distributor who
is
> expert in the particular system you're installing on.  Grabbing a windows
> binary from ApacheLounge would seem to be much the same thing.

Agreed. So maybe it would help if these would be linked from the httpd
website. The Linux distros come with their own manual which explains all
about installing and using apache, typically. Windows users miss out of
that, and I think it might be in apaches interest to also provide their
popular web server software easily for a popular server platform.

--
Mike

Re: [users@httpd] Re: "Official" apache win32 binaries for 2.2.23

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 2 Feb 2013, at 09:24, Michiel Beijen wrote:

> Still, it would be nice if Apache foundation would provide a binary build, or link to any of these sites directly. On Linux, most people tend to apt-get or yum install their binaries, on Windows there is no such solution.

To do that we'd need someone on the dev team willing and able to build the
windows binaries.  Many of us don't have windows at all.  Of those who do,
it seems none have stepped up to this task.

Posted by Michiel Beijen <mi...@gmail.com>.