Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ML Harmon <ml...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/14 16:37:04 UTC

Using the Apache Tomcat 6.0 SSL Configuration HOW-TO guide, but it is not working

Using this link, to setup my Apache Tomcat 6.0 webserver with SSL, but I
can't get it to work. I am very new to Apache Tomcat 6.0. Infact this is the
first time I have ever worked with it.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssl-howto.html

Our Apache Tomcat 6.0 is currently running on a Windows 2003 server. We *CAN
* currently bring up a browser and login to our application on port 8086,
and have been using this for several years.

But* now* we want to secure our connection with SSL, so I have been trying
to use the above link to set it up.

Here is what I have done.

1. Create a keystore file to store the server's private key and self-signed
certificate by executing the following command:

Windows:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

2. Uncomment the "SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector" entry in
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml and modify as described.

3.   Define a SLL Connector in my server.xml

 Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->

<Connector
           port="8443" maxThreads="200"
           scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
           keystoreFile="${user.home}/.keystore" keystorePass="changeit"
           clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"/>
4.  Create a local certificate
                             keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA \
-keystore <your_keystore_filename>

5. Create a CSR for my Issuing RootCA to sign.
                           keytool -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias tomcat -file
certreq.csr \ -keystore <your_keystore_filename>

6. Have my issuing RootCA sign and create my cert.

7. Import my Chain Certificate into my keystore i.e. I have created my on
RootCA certificate with a stand-alone CA since we are using a two tier
approach to creating certs. Our certs are created and signed on a Windows
2008 Certificate Service Server.
                          keytool -import -alias root -keystore
<your_keystore_filename> \ -trustcacerts -file
<filename_of_the_chain_certificate>

8. Import my Certificate.
                           keytool -import -alias tomcat -keystore
<your_keystore_filename> \ -file <your_certificate_filename>

RESULTS are as follows:

I can run http://localhost:8086 from my browser on our Tomcat Web server and
the default web page does load.
Running https://localhost:8443  does not display a web page.

I can at least load up a web page if I exclude  SSLEnabled=TRUE from my
connector entry using port 8443 but of course I don't have SSLEnabled=True.

I don't even know enough about Tomcat to know how to troubleshoot this, am
very new to this.

Re: Using the Apache Tomcat 6.0 SSL Configuration HOW-TO guide, but it is not working

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 19 Oct 2011, at 16:15, ML Harmon <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see any log file? what would be the log files name?

Please don't top post (see below).

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Konstantin Kolinko
> <kn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2011/10/14 ML Harmon <ml...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I don't even know enough about Tomcat to know how to troubleshoot this,
>> am
>>> very new to this.
>>>

>> 1) If you know where your server.xml is, you should know where your
>> log files are as well.
>>
>> There is logs folder that is sibling to conf.

Did you find the logs folder as indicated above? What is in it?

Posted by ML Harmon <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.