Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/07/19 20:09:23 UTC

Trademarks

The ASF has a defined trademark policy which all Top Level Projects
are expected to follow. It has recently been pointed out that some
uses of the OpenMeetings marks are not following these policies. Note,
nobody has actually complained about this but it would be nice to see
the PPMC better enforcing their policies.

The trademark policy is at: http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

The site in question (but it may not be limited to this site) is
http://www.openmeetings.de/

Question regarding how to best comply with the policy can be addressed
to trademarks@apache.org, although your mentors can help in the first
instance.

Thanks,
Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Fwd: Trademarks

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Thanks Seba for the inclusion of a clear pointer to the Apache
OpenMeetings podling on your openmeetings.de domain, this is more than
sufficient attribution for the time being.  We very much appreciate your
quick action to ensure that consumers and users are clearly informed
about where they can find Apache OpenMeetings software, here at the
ASF's incubator - thanks!

When we have an existing product and brand that is donated to the Apache
Incubator, the ASF understands that there will be a transition period in
your use (i.e. your organization that is donating the code and the brand
to the ASF) during the incubation process.  This is expected and
understood.

The primary goal for the ASF's branding team is to ensure that the ASF
has full trademark rights to the "OpenMeetings" name at some point
before the podling graduates.  This is required so that we can promote
and defend the brand once it becomes a top level project at Apache.

Given that part of this discussion is about legal matters, I'm going to
follow up in a few days to the PPMC private list and to the privately
archived trademarks@ list, including Seba, so we can organize all the
details.

In the short term Seba, please don't worry - your willingness to work
with us is great, and I'm betting we can make some good suggestions as
to how we can all ensure that users can both find Apache OpenMeetings
software (from the ASF), as well as find all sorts of great services
like hosting and support from your company.

I'd recommend PPMC members read our Corporate Recognition Best
Practices, to get a sense of the kinds of things that podlings/projects
can do on their websites to recognize outside companies that are related
to Apache projects:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking.html

Note that while it's still a DRAFT, the principles will remain the same
- I know we need to provide better explanations and examples.

- Shane Curcuru
   VP, Brand Management
   The Apache Software Foundation

P.S. I've just come back from OSCON and am exhausted, so will follow up
next week to the PPMC and trademarks@.

...snip...

Re: Trademarks

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
I agree,

I've put an info text on the landing page at openmeetings.de to the project

Re: Trademarks

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Wow - you guys here are *really* great. The truth is the best
community play is to use project specific domains under PPMC control.
I didn't expect you to just shift it over like this and wasn't asking
for it. However, it is the best result.

This project is very lucky to have a PPMC of this calibre.

Ross

Re: Trademarks

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross,

Re: Trademarks

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Trademarks

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: Trademarks

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ross,
it would help if particular usages in questions (even if they are not
yet complaints) are discussed. We are not lawyers, and examples would
be simpler to understand

My internal policy was never to speak from the role of ASF, sometimes
speak from the role of PPMC. We use a completely different trademark
"Телесовещания" in Russia for any commercial activity.

I hoped that was sufficient.

[...]

My take on that is to clarify the trademark policy here. It's ok for
any person or entity to sponsor anything he likes and write press
releases he wants to. Would it be sufficient to mention that someone
sponsors "developers of Apache Openmeetings" or "the project based on
Apache Openmeetings" instead of "Apache Openmeetings"?

* Employment advertisement mentoned Apache Openmeetings project.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Re: Trademarks