Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@brekke.org> on 2003/06/08 11:37:14 UTC

Re: Getting our jar dependencies there.

[SNIPPED]

> "As maven already supports multiple remote repositories: Would it
> make sense that we set up a small, Turbine-related repository where
> we can put all the jars that are needed to build the HEAD ourselves
> and simply tell developers, that they must use

> maven.repo.remote =
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/,http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/repo

> so that the HEAD can be built reliably without having to wait for
> the upload people to catch up?"

> "If it does not make sense, why not?"

Sounds reasonable.  The only drawback I see is the possiblity of a
competing repo that will just confuse developers.  "Now, I can't find
it on the ibiblio one, check the turbine one, the avalon one, the
jakarta one, etc."

Another idea: maybe we could get one or two more Turbine developers
with access for uploading jars to ibiblio?  I have access, but have
been on vacation for a while now, just getting back into swing.

> This would mean that developers have to work on their
> build.properties for compiling Turbine (Unfortunately, while you can
> configure most anything in the POM, there is no way that I can see
> to tell maven in the POM to look into another remote repository. Too
> bad).

Doesn't it also work when put into the project.properties?  I'd double
check, but HEAD isn't building for me right now.

Re: Getting our jar dependencies there.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
jbrekke@wi.rr.com (Jeffrey D. Brekke) writes:

>> jar-developer controlled distribution mechanism. This however is IMHO
>> much beyond the scale of the maven project. Maven would basically be
>> the user of such a distribution mechanism.

>Very good ideas.  There was talk about separating the repository stuff
>out so other projects could use it, but it is currently cooking in
>maven-new I guess.

As I said, this is IMHO not really part of maven. Maven would be an
user of this. Same could be an ant task or a simple command line tool.

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Getting our jar dependencies there.

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.

[SNIPPED]

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
jbrekke@brekke.org (Jeffrey D. Brekke) writes:

>Sounds reasonable.  The only drawback I see is the possiblity of a
>competing repo that will just confuse developers.  "Now, I can't find
>it on the ibiblio one, check the turbine one, the avalon one, the
>jakarta one, etc."

Quinton suggested putting this into the project properties, which does
sound reasonable. BTW: I don't understand the arbitrary split between
project.xml and project.properties. I would have added a <properties>
section to the POM and put all this stuff there. Well...

>Another idea: maybe we could get one or two more Turbine developers
>with access for uploading jars to ibiblio?  I have access, but have
>been on vacation for a while now, just getting back into swing.

This simply shifts the problem. Now you don't have to reach a maven guy
but the 'right' Turbine guy. Consider this multiplied by 100 projects
and you'll see that this simply doesn't scale.

[...]

Hm. Sounds like a thesis work to get programmed. Any takers?

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
jbrekke@wi.rr.com (Jeffrey D. Brekke) writes:

>> Nah. You would just shift it. Consider a year ago. The most active
>> developers at that time were people like JvZ or Jon Stevens. Both have
>> left Turbine development completely. And it still won't help you if
>> these folks are on holidays or unavailable.
>>
>> It is a band aid, that would help a little, though, so I'm +0 on that.

>I guess I didn't see this as much different than a Turbine repo.  Would
>you want to give everyone access to upload to the Turbine repo?

Every Turbine committer, yes. Basically, same access access as the web
pages on jakarta.apache.org (where it would be located) or the CVS,
working on the idea that changes in this repo will be driven by
reflected changes in the CVS (the project.xml file).

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Getting our jar dependencies there.

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.