Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ingmar Koecher <in...@netikus.net> on 2002/02/02 19:39:47 UTC

cocoon.war - no automatic extraction

I am quite new to cocoon, tomcat and related technologies.

OS: Linux 7.1 + XWindows
Java: IBMJava2-13 (JDK)
Tomcat: 4.0.1 (installed via rpm) on latest Apache (1.3.23?)
Cocoon: 2.0.1

1. Installed IBM JDK, created JAVA_HOME and added JAVA_HOME/bin to
PATH
2. Installed tomcat, seems to run fine (including the webapps)
3. Copied cocoon.war into ...tomcat4/webapps
4. Restarted Tomcat
5. Accessed http://...../cocoon
6. Received error message - /cocoon not found

Tomcat log says:
2002-02-01 17:50:37 StandardHost[localhost]: Installing web
application at
context path /cocoon from URL
jar:file:/var/tomcat4/webapps/cocoon.war!/
2002-02-01 17:50:37 HostConfig[localhost] Error deploying web
application
archive cocoon.war
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/tomcat4/webapps/cocoon/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (No such file or
directory)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:62)
.... (many more error messages I don't think are relevant)

This problem happened on two different machines, one with and one
without xwindows.

I looked at the mailing list archive and couldn't find a solution, but
a hint
regarding the manual decompression of the war archive. So I did:

7. mkdir ...webapps/cocoon
8. chown tomcat4:tomcat4 cocoon
9. mv webapps/cocoon.war cocoon
10. jar xvf cocoon.war
11. Restarted tomcat
12. Cocoon welcome page appears (after 5 minutes ...)

I feel a little insecure with this whole installation though and I
hope that someone can
answer a couple of questions I have and shed some light:

*) Why did tomcat not extract the .war file and why can a file be
missing before it's even
being extracted? What is manifest good for?
*) This linux box has only 128mb of ram and is running xwindows, so
you can imagine that it's
quite slow - is this a problem for cocoon (other than the speed, I can
see that it's VERY slow)
*) I still don't get why x-windows is needed, is there a simple
explanation for that?
*) I don't have the xerces installed, is that necessary for xml+xsl to
work together? I do understand
that xerces is a xml parser, so I assume that tomcat or cocoon have
that builtin, otherwise the cocoon
samples would not have worked, am I right?
*) Does Xalan C++ do the same as Cocoon?

I hope that not all of the questions are stupid ... thanks for any
help in advance.

Best regards,

Ingmar Koecher.

Re: cocoon.war - no automatic extraction

Posted by Brad Smith <bg...@bendcable.com>.

I had this problem also. If you try other war files you will see that they do
not work with. The problem has to do with the permissions that the rpm sets
for tomcat in /var/tomcat4/webapps. Below are the settings currently in my
/var/tomcat4 directory:

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     tomcat4      4096 Nov  1 17:06 bin
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     tomcat4      4096 Nov  1 17:06 common
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     tomcat4      4096 Nov  1 18:55 conf
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     tomcat4      4096 Nov  1 17:06 lib
drwxr-xr-x    2 tomcat4  tomcat4      4096 Jan 30 20:26 logs
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     tomcat4      4096 Nov  1 17:06 server
drwxr-xr-x   10 tomcat4  tomcat4      4096 Jan 30 20:26 webapps
drwxr-xr-x    3 tomcat4  tomcat4      4096 Nov  1 17:07 work

Alter your settings to model these and see if that helps.

Best,

Brad Smith

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.
Ingmar:

The Manifest file provides the app server with a layout of the application.
It should be inside the war file. If you're still having problems, I will
defer to the experts on the list for a more detailed explanation

Carlos

On 02/02/02 11:41, "Ingmar Koecher" <in...@netikus.net> wrote:

> Well, I downloaded the file
>
> cocoon-2.0.1-bin.tar.gz
>
> from
>
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/
>
> ungiztarred it and copied the .war file to the webapps folder.
> I would assume that this is the correct way of getting it, right?
>
> I can see that the manifest file is INSIDE the .war file. Does
> one need it ouside of it?
>
> What IS the manifest file good for?
>
> Thanks,
> Ingmar.

We cannot put off living until we are ready. The most salient
characteristic of life is its  coerciveness: it is always urgent,  'here and
now' without any possible postponement. Life is  fired at us point blank.
Jose Ortega Y Gasset

RE: cocoon.war - no automatic extraction

Posted by Ingmar Koecher <in...@netikus.net>.
Well, I downloaded the file

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.