Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nathaniel Stoddard <na...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/21 16:56:22 UTC

Dependency scope

I'm not sure if there's a way to do this ... I'm hoping there is.

I'd like to be able to have a dependency be for the compilation only,
without being included in the installation.  I'm worried about my WARs
specifically.  They have a dependency on an EJB project, which of
course has a dependency on a J2EE JAR from a local repository.
However, since the J2EE classes are going to be supplied by JBoss, I
don't really want them to be included in the WAR when they get built
and installed.

Any ideas?  It looks like a scope of "compile" still includes it in
the WAR, while a scope of "runtime" won't allow the ejb project to be
built at all.  As always, thanks for the help!

Re: Dependency scope

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
On 21 Jun 2005, at 16:55, Brett Porter wrote:

> Yes, it will work in this situation, but this is specifically for
> provided jars though. It is not intended as a general mechanism for
> optional dependencies.

Well, there's a need for such a mechanism. There's also a need for
compile-only dependencies (parser generators, etc.). If there's no
scope intended for these things, "provided" will be used for them.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

Re: Dependency scope

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it will work in this situation, but this is specifically for
provided jars though. It is not intended as a general mechanism for
optional dependencies.

- Brett

Re: Dependency scope

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.