Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2003/03/07 05:17:03 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library -- Early Access Version Now Available

I'm happy to announce the immediate availability of an integration library
that allows you to use the recently published EA3 release of JavaServer
Faces <http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/> with a recent Struts
build (nightly build 20030216 or later, or the upcoming 1.1-rc2 or final
release).  Nightly builds of this package are available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/struts-faces/

The sources for this package are in the "contrib/struts-faces"
subdirectory of the "jakarta-struts" CVS repository.

You should take note of the following important points:

* The design goal of this library was to allow Struts application
  developers to migrate the view tier of their applications from the
  existing Struts tags, to pages that use corresponding JavaServer Faces
  component tags, with no changes to the corresponding business logic.
  This goal has been substantially achieved for simple applications
  so far; additional work will be necessary for more advanced apps.
  As a proof of concept, the JavaServer Faces based version of the
  canonical "struts-example" web application is included in the
  distribution, so that you can see for yourself how little had to be
  changed.

* The integration library has been tested under Tomcat 4.1.18 and
  the Java Web Services Developer Pack (version 1.0_01), although in
  principle it should run on any Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 container.
  (It will not run on Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 containers).

* There is a known issue when trying to run JavaServer Faces EA3
  under the recently released Java Web Services Developer Pack
  (version 1.1).  Watch the JavaServer Faces web page (at the URL
  listed above) for up-to-date information on workarounds.

* The JavaServer Faces distribution is an EA release, not suitable for
  use in production environments.  In addition, the license terms
  under which it can be downloaded prohibit redistribution.  Therefore,
  you will need to download your own copy of JavaServer Faces EA3 and
  integrate it with the example application before it can be deployed.

* The integration library should also be considered to be of alpha
  quality, not suitable for production use.  There are a set of known
  issues and limitations at the bottom of the README.txt file.  Please
  file bugs against this package in the usual Bugzilla location:

    http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

* For generic questions about JavaServer Faces (i.e. not related to this
  integration library), your best resource is the JavaServer Faces forum
  (free registration required) at:

    http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jsp?forum=427

See the README.txt file in the top-level subdirectory for more information
about installing and using this release.

Craig McClanahan

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library -- Early Access Version Now Available

Posted by alexj <al...@freesurf.ch>.
rhooo :)

--
Alexandre Jaquet

Posted by Alexandre Jaquet <al...@freesurf.ch>.
Ok Thanks Craig.

--
Alexandre Jaquet

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@apache.org>.
  Check the struts archive. There is some answer to this question.
  You can also check for the thread "Sell me on Tiles"

   Cedric

Tiles

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Alexandre Jaquet wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:53:48 +0100
> From: Alexandre Jaquet <al...@freesurf.ch>
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library --
>     Early Access Version Now Available
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> You didn't release any other struts-faces ? Why have you
> remove it from
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/struts-faces/  ?
>
> Thanks.

Oops ... the server cleans out old nightly build files for me.  I thought
my nightly build script was building this every night -- I'll fix that
forthwith.

Nothing has changed in this code yet, so the next nightly will be the same
as the original one in terms of functionality.  The only changes will be

> Alexandre Jaquet

Craig

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
I was getting logging errors, replaced commons-logging was replaced with an
older version-- it got rid of the logging exception.

Still getting now the attribute xml exception that I posted about in the JSF
forum:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=427&thread=368179

-Jacob

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, alexj wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 05:30:52 +0100
> From: alexj <al...@freesurf.ch>
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library --
>     Early Access Version Now Available
>
> "You don't have permission to access
> /builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/struts-faces/jakarta-struts-faces-20030306.ta
> r.gz on this server. "
>
> sniff :(

Just caught and fixed ... please try again :-)

> --
> Alexandre Jaquet

Craig

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library -- Early Access Version Now Available

Posted by alexj <al...@freesurf.ch>.
yep it's ok rigth now :)

--
Alexandre Jaquet

Re: JSF Example - Commons Logging

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

> Interesting ... did you find that to be true with the standard Struts
> examples as well?

Nope, they seem to work fine.  I am using 1.1 RC1 in my app and it works fine.
 Then again, I'm not using a ServletContextListener in my app.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces [installation error]

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Matt Raible wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:28:38 -0700
> From: Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library --
>     Early Access Version Now Available
>
> Very Cool!  But...
>
> You don't have permission to access
> /builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/struts-faces/jakarta-struts-faces-20030306.zip
> on this server.
> Apache/2.1.0-dev (Unix) SVN/0.16.1 (dev build) DAV/2 Server at cvs.apache.org
> Port 80

Grumble grumble ... scp ignored my umask and set 600 permissions ;-(.

Fixed now.

Craig

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
Very Cool!  But...

Apache/2.1.0-dev (Unix) SVN/0.16.1 (dev build) DAV/2 Server at cvs.apache.org
Port 80

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Ted Husted wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:59:18 -0400
> From: Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library --
>     Early Access Version Now Available
>
> Craig,
>
> While we're releasing stuff, could you please call for a vote to release
> JSF .03 and .04 as milestones?

Will do ... sorry 'bout that.  Life was supposed to be able to calm down
after JavaOne :-(.

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

| > What about the Digester Bug in EA3?
| >

| You mean the one you get if you try using Faces under JWSDP 1.1?  That's
| still being investigated (it's something weird in the class loading that
| changed between 1.0 and 1.1).
|
| Craig

I'm running 4.18 (Jan 17th), I remember downloading JWSDP 1.1 a while back.
I'm not sure how that's affecting my Tomcat install, how do I digress my
installation?  Following your VERY detailed README.txt

This is quite the coincidence; I just started looking into it this afternoon
for the first time.

-Jacob

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Struts-JavaServer Faces Integration Library -- Early Access Version Now Available

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.