Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by mike808 <mi...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2002/08/04 17:48:32 UTC

Re: Modperl! Your spam awaits you

Michael Poole <po...@troilus.org>

On Sunday 04 August 2002 10:13 am, Ged Haywood wrote:
> No, I think the answer in this case is Ask.

From what I can tell, the original had the following header:

So did Ged's last response:

It may have been included when Ged replied, which is how it got attached to
his message. Which, in a way allows blocking of spam and spam-related
threads, whether it is pro or con the originating message.

However, a completely unrelated recent thread had these headers:
> Subject: RE: can't fine ModuleConfig.c.

What this tells me is that whatever is performing and inserting the
X-Spam-Rating header is worthless to this list for this kind of spam.

But, it is always easier to identify ex-post-facto spam than a priori spam.

At the very least, the moderators (Ask?) should be able to identify the
poster's originating subscribing infromation, unsubscribe them to the list,
and/or notify them if it came from a compromised account.

And of course, send whatever info we can to the RBL folks (or your favorite
public list of spam offenders).

Mike808/
--
() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!

Re: *****SPAM***** Re: Modperl! Your spam awaits you

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
>> And of course, send whatever info we can to the RBL folks
>
> SpamAssasin does that - when a user gets spam which isn't flagged,
> he's supposed to send it to a 'sightings' address.  Matt, is that
> still right?  I'm still sending the stuff...

Yeah - but I don't read the sightings list - too much spam :-)

Matt.

Re: *****SPAM***** Re: Modperl! Your spam awaits you

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

> >From what I can tell, the original had the following header:
>
> So did Ged's last response:
>
> It may have been included when Ged replied,

I use SpamAssassin, it flagged the original message.

> X-Spam-Rating header is worthless to this list for this kind of spam.

Quite.

> At the very least, the moderators (Ask?) should be able to identify the
> poster's originating subscribing infromation, unsubscribe them to the list,
> and/or notify them if it came from a compromised account.

That's why I cc'd Ask in my post.

> And of course, send whatever info we can to the RBL folks

SpamAssasin does that - when a user gets spam which isn't flagged,
he's supposed to send it to a 'sightings' address.  Matt, is that
still right?  I'm still sending the stuff...

73,
Ged.