Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com> on 2011/04/02 00:31:31 UTC

please unsub uppermohawkinc.com

numnuts at
uppermohawkinc.com doesn't know how to run a mail server, and should not
be 'backscatter' bouncing email.

I just got 6 bounces (not smtp reject) but bounces from them for email
sent to users@spamassassin.apache.org

anyone that does that should NOT be infecting the rest of the world with
their backscatter.

also seems the jerks think that email 'From: ' me (sent through
users@spamassassin.apache.org) needs to match MY spf records
(yes, spf is broken.. no, the jerks that think spf stops spam are
broken, the jerks that run mail servers and can't read, they are broken)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product, Networks Product Guide
    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Hot Company Award, World Executive Alliance
    * Best in Email Security, 2010 Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine

Re: please unsub uppermohawkinc.com

Posted by "Matthew Kitchin (public/usenet)" <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/2011 5:31 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> numnuts at
> uppermohawkinc.com doesn't know how to run a mail server, and should
> not be 'backscatter' bouncing email.
>
> I just got 6 bounces (not smtp reject) but bounces from them for email
> sent to users@spamassassin.apache.org
>
> anyone that does that should NOT be infecting the rest of the world
> with their backscatter.
>
> also seems the jerks think that email 'From: ' me (sent through
> users@spamassassin.apache.org) needs to match MY spf records
> (yes, spf is broken.. no, the jerks that think spf stops spam are
> broken, the jerks that run mail servers and can't read, they are broken)

Thanks for the explanation. I was just trying to decipher the bounce
message I go to figure out why.

[resolved] Re: please unsub uppermohawkinc.com

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
While unsubscribing I also notified the affected address. Seems they are
aware of the issue and fixing it. Quote:

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
Just for the record, yet again -- sending moderation requests to the,
uhm, moderators is likely to get faster attention than to dump it on the
list.

Moderators are users-owner@ and similar for any other SA list.

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 18:31 -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> numnuts at
> uppermohawkinc.com doesn't know how to run a mail server, and should not
> be 'backscatter' bouncing email.
>
> I just got 6 bounces (not smtp reject) but bounces from them for email
> sent to users@spamassassin.apache.org

Did you get the bounce from *them*?

FWIW, I received a single note by the list server, because an address at
that domain has been looping back to the list. No bounce. Hours after
the post. Still no similar incident with my later post, so I figured it
might be a temporary mis-configuration on their end.

Anyway, given your post and Matthew's confirmation, I'll unsub the
address now.

> anyone that does that should NOT be infecting the rest of the world with
> their backscatter.
>
> also seems the jerks think that email 'From: ' me (sent through
> users@spamassassin.apache.org) needs to match MY spf records
> (yes, spf is broken.. no, the jerks that think spf stops spam are
> broken, the jerks that run mail servers and can't read, they are broken)

Well, no SPF involved here.