Posted to jdo-commits@db.apache.org by jd...@db.apache.org on 2005/02/10 16:34:01 UTC

[Apache JDO Wiki] New: LoggingDetails

   Date: 2005-02-10T07:34:01
   Editor: MichaelBouschen
   Wiki: Apache JDO Wiki
   Page: LoggingDetails

   Looging details

New Page:

= Logging =

The prototype (see version 2005-02-10 at SubversionRepository) replaces the proprietary logging implementation in ri11 and tck11 by using the apache commons logging API. This removes the Logger implementation in ri11 and its query and model specific subclasses. Now the implementation classes in sub-projects ri11 and tck11 retrieve a logger instance by name and directly call the logger methods as defined in the apache commons Log interface.

= Configuration =

Apache commons logging allows to switch between different logging implementations (including JDK1.4 logging, Log4J and apache's simple logging implementation). We tested with JDK 1.4 logging and the apache simple logging. There are three properties files to configure logging:

||Properties file||Description||
||common-logging.properties||Specifies the logging implementation to use. It is tested with JDK 1.4 logging and apache simple logging.||
||logging.properties||Logger configuration when using JDK 1.4 logging.||
||simplelog.properties||Logger configuration when using apache simple logging.||

= Logger Instances =

The ri11 sources use the following logger instances:

||org.apache.jdo.impl.fostore||File Object Store implementation||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.jdoql||JDOQL query runtime||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.jdoql.jdoqlc||JDOQL query compiler||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.model.jdo||JDOModel implementation||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.model.jdo.xml||XML parser for JDO metadata files||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.pm||PM and PMF implementation||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.sco||SCO implementation||
||org.apache.jdo.impl.state||State manager implementation||
||org.apache.jdo.store||Generic store manager implementation||
||org.apache.jdo.util||Utility classes||

The ri11 test classes use the following logger instance:
  org.apache.jdo.test

The tck11 test classes use the following logger instance:
  org.apache.jdo.tck

= Log Level =

The following describes the mapping between the log level of JDK 1.4 logging and apache commns logging:

||JDK 1.4||Apache commons logging||
||FINEST||trace||
||FINE, FINER||debug||
||INFO, CONFIG||info||
||WARNING||warn||
||SEVERE||error, fatal||

The following table maps the log level of the former JDORI util.Logger class to apache commons logging log level:

||JDORI Logger||Apache||
||TIME, BUF||trace||
||DEBUG, TEST||debug||
||INFO||info||
||WARN||warn||
||ERROR||error||

Re: [Apache JDO Wiki] New: LoggingDetails

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Niclas,

thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the problem. I understood the
basic problem is the way JCL dynamically determines the user's preferred
logging implementation. What if the JCL configuration attribute
||org.apache.commmons.logging.Log is set which specifies the logging
implementation to be used? Then there is no dynamic checking of
available logging implemenations.

Regards Michael

>On Thursday 10 February 2005 23:34, jdo-commits@db.apache.org wrote:
>

>>using the apache commons logging API
>>

>NO!!!
>
>Please read;  http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp
>
>JCL can be made working in simple/flat applications, but becomes impossible
>for server containers to deal with.
>
>Please consult directly with Apache's logging expert Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>
>and the logging.apache.org community, for instance on the
>log4j-dev@logging.apache.org mailing list.
>

>Thanks
>Niclas

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin

Re: [Apache JDO Wiki] New: LoggingDetails

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.