Posted to users@camel.apache.org by pmcb55 <mc...@dnb.com> on 2013/04/10 14:57:12 UTC

Why do all Camel components have the same version number?

I'm intrigued by the versioning strategy used for Camel components. I'm
wondering why all 80 (or whatever) Camel component JARs share the same
version number. I assume very few of these components have code changes
between releases (since Camel is very stable), so why not only bump up their
version numbers when that component's code actually changes?

What happens if, hypothetically, a single Camel component needs a new
version (say due to a critical bug fix), but no other components change, nor
does Camel Core change. Would Camel still release a new version of all 80
Camel Components, and a new version of Camel Core, just to get this new
critical component version out...?

Or is this just a convenience mechanism (i.e. if I use 5 Camel components, I
just have to define one Maven property for the version of all 5, rather than
hard-coding specific version numbers for each component)? Could someone
point me to an argument in favour of this model, or even just a
justification (and the trade-offs), since my understanding of version number
semantics is that the version number of a JAR only changes if the code
itself has changed...?

Thanks,

Pat.

Re: Why do all Camel components have the same version number?

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.
See this thread:
http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Camel-3-discussion-Components-releases-td5727764.html

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
I assume a part of each significant release is testing all the components
against the core.  So even if the component itself hasn't changed, it can
be said to be compatible with the current core, and thus gets the same
version number as the core.

Don