Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marcin Praczko <ma...@2fluid.co.uk> on 2008/05/23 11:52:38 UTC

Spam in qmail queue

Hi,

I am not sure that I am writing to correct list, but maybe you will help me.

On one of my server qmail has been installed, SpamAssassin and qmail-scanner.
There is a several virtual domains, and Spam filter is working quite OK.

But I have some message which I am worried about:

For example: on sever is domain: somedoamin1.com

Somebody will send SPAM to HYPERLINK "mailto:user@somedomain1.com"user@somedomain1.com, and:
-         Spamassassin marks it as SPAM (which is correct)
-         But user doesn’t exist on somedomain1.com (it happen)
-         So qmail is storage this mail in queue as long as it can.

My question is, what is the best practice and how can I configure following scenario:

Scenario:
Spam marks message as SPAM, qmail is trying deliver that message to not exited user,
And if is not exist – message is deleted.

BUT if message is not SPAM – and user doesn’t exist, bounce message should be send to sender.

Thank you very much for your help.

Marcin Praczko

Checked by AVG.

Re: Spam in qmail queue

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 23 May 2008, Richard Frovarp wrote:

> Marcin Praczko wrote:
>
>>  BUT if message is not SPAM - and user doesn't exist, bounce message
>>  should be send to sender.
>
> Do not bounce! If the user does not exist, reject the message at SMTP
> time. Problem solved. If you accept the message, it is up to you to deal
> with it. Bouncing will just send messages back to people who don't
> deserve it. Look up "joe jobbed".

In addition, behavior like that can get you blacklisted.

Marcin, please do not accept-then-bounce mail sent to nonexistent users or
mail blocked for spamminess. You may find it increasingly difficult to
communicate with the rest of the world, and you _will_ be hated.

   If Microsoft made hammers, everyone would whine about how poorly
   screws were designed and about how they are hard to hammer in, and
   wonder why it takes so long to paint a wall using the hammer.
  2 days until the Mars Phoenix lander arrives at Mars

Re: Spam in qmail queue

Posted by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.

Re: Spam in qmail queue

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.
> Marcin Praczko wrote:
>
>> -         Spamassassin marks it as SPAM (which is correct)
>> -         But user doesn’t exist on somedomain1.com (it happen)
>> -         So qmail is storage this mail in queue as long as it can.
>
> Do you have any special reason to receive mail for users that
> doesn't exist?
>
>> My question is, what is the best practice and how can I configure
>> following scenario:
>
> The best practice is to never accept messages to non-existant users.

Agreed. There is no reason to accept then bounce. That's ==
backscatter. Either REJECT or DISCARD.

- Sahil

Re: Spam in qmail queue

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
Marcin Praczko wrote:

> -         Spamassassin marks it as SPAM (which is correct)
> -         But user doesn’t exist on somedomain1.com (it happen)
> -         So qmail is storage this mail in queue as long as it can.

Do you have any special reason to receive mail for users that
doesn't exist?

> My question is, what is the best practice and how can I configure
> following scenario:

The best practice is to never accept messages to non-existant users.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet
http://whatever.frukt.org/

[OT} Spam in qmail queue

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
>> Somebody will send SPAM to user@somedomain1.com
>> <ma...@somedomain1.com>, and:
>>
>> - Spamassassin marks it as SPAM (which is correct)
>>
>> - But user doesn’t exist on somedomain1.com (it happen)
>>
>> - So qmail is storage this mail in queue as long as it can.
>>
>> My question is, what is the best practice and how can I configure
>> following scenario:
>>
>> Scenario:
>>
>> Spam marks message as SPAM, qmail is trying deliver that message to
>> not exited user,
>>
>> And if is not exist – message is deleted.
>>
>> BUT if message is not SPAM – and user doesn’t exist, bounce message
>> should be send to sender.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your help.

Hi,

You want the qmail chkuser patch
http://www.interazioni.it/opensource/chkuser/ or the validrcptto patch.

I believe most people use the chkuser patch.

Regards,

Rick

Re: Spam in qmail queue

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
As this really is a qmail question, if you don't get any answers here,
I'd suggesting posting to a qmail forum.