Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Addi <ad...@rocktreesky.com> on 2005/05/28 16:39:40 UTC

Java jre vs. jdk

Hello,  I've a quick question.  I have Java's jre 1.5 on my machines and
0.6 worked fine, when I went to build 0.7 though, I couldn't get it to
work until I installed jdk 1.5.  I assume this because I am using a dev
version and building?  The docs (FAQ and the SVN docs) only say that it
requires Java 1.4 with no indication as to whether the jre or jdk is
desired.  Will the released version of 0.7 work with the jre?

- Addi

Re: Java jre vs. jdk

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Maurice Lanselle wrote:
> Addi said the following on 28/05/2005 16:39:
>
>> Hello,  I've a quick question.  I have Java's jre 1.5 on my machines
>> and 0.6 worked fine, when I went to build 0.7 though, I couldn't get
>> it to work until I installed jdk 1.5.  I assume this because I am
>> using a dev version and building?  The docs (FAQ and the SVN docs)
>> only say that it requires Java 1.4 with no indication as to whether
>> the jre or jdk is desired.  Will the released version of 0.7 work with
>> the jre?
>>
>> - Addi
>>
> Me too, exactly.  I started to download the JDK and balked at the size /
> amount of disk space required.  I would like to try Eclipse, which seems
> to only need a JRE.  Will I be able to build Forrest with Eclipse+JRE if
> I don't install the JDK?  How soon will pre-built distributions of 0.7
> be available?

If you wnat to work with SVN head then you need to compile Forrest. To
complie Forrest you need a Java compiler. The (sun) Java compiler is in
the JDK, not the JRE.

However, when we produce a release version it is precompiled. Hence it
does not need the compiler, hence it only needs the JRE.

Ross

Re: Java jre vs. jdk

Posted by Maurice Lanselle <la...@evc.net>.
Addi said the following on 28/05/2005 16:39:

> Hello,  I've a quick question.  I have Java's jre 1.5 on my machines
> and 0.6 worked fine, when I went to build 0.7 though, I couldn't get
> it to work until I installed jdk 1.5.  I assume this because I am
> using a dev version and building?  The docs (FAQ and the SVN docs)
> only say that it requires Java 1.4 with no indication as to whether
> the jre or jdk is desired.  Will the released version of 0.7 work with
> the jre?
>
> - Addi

Me too, exactly.  I started to download the JDK and balked at the size /
amount of disk space required.  I would like to try Eclipse, which seems
to only need a JRE.  Will I be able to build Forrest with Eclipse+JRE if
I don't install the JDK?  How soon will pre-built distributions of 0.7
be available?

Maurice