Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> on 2012/02/04 04:05:19 UTC

[lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation

It is time for Lucy to graduate from the Incubator and become an Apache top
level project.

When Marvin, Nathan and I first proposed Lucy as an Apache podling, we had two
main goals:

 * eliminate the technical and IP obstacles preventing the Lucy codebase from
   fully complying with the ASF guidelines,

 * grow the community to a sustainable, stable place that could survive the
   loss of any particular core contributor (especially Marvin).

With the release of 0.3.0 this week we have accomplished goal number one.

With the addition of five new committers and three new PPMC members, and the
recent substantial code contributions from Logan and Nick, I feel confident that
we have met our second goal as well.

It's time to leave the nest and govern ourselves.

What do you say?

Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Nathan Kurz <na...@verse.com>.
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> wrote:
> It is time for Lucy to graduate from the Incubator and become an Apache top
> level project.

+1

In case others are, like me, still learning the Apache procedures,
here are some helpful links:

Guide to Successful Graduation
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Incubation Policy
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

--nate

Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Although I'm relatively new to the project, it's been a very rewarding
project to work on and a great community of developers to work with.
Further, I look forward to help and offer development to future aspect
of Lucy.

Good job everyone!
Logan

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 from me Peter.

You guys have really been one of the most successful podlings I've participated in,
and one that has made tremendous progress.

That you sent this email and not some *ahem* other superstar in Lucy, is a strong
data point that you guys are ready. Heck, I thought you were ready months ago, but
you added even more icing.

Get the heck out of here and shine. Lucy deserves it.

Cheers,
Chris

On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:05 PM, Peter Karman wrote:

> It is time for Lucy to graduate from the Incubator and become an Apache top
> level project.
>
> When Marvin, Nathan and I first proposed Lucy as an Apache podling, we had two
> main goals:
>
> * eliminate the technical and IP obstacles preventing the Lucy codebase from
>   fully complying with the ASF guidelines,
>
> * grow the community to a sustainable, stable place that could survive the
>   loss of any particular core contributor (especially Marvin).
>
> With the release of 0.3.0 this week we have accomplished goal number one.
>
> With the addition of five new committers and three new PPMC members, and the
> recent substantial code contributions from Logan and Nick, I feel confident that
> we have met our second goal as well.
>
> It's time to leave the nest and govern ourselves.
>
> What do you say?
>
> --
> Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter@peknet.com

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.