Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl> on 2018/11/05 15:27:44 UTC

Re: Python 3 support

Hi Michael,

Thanks for pointing out the Python versions. I'm fine with the suggestion
of supporting 3.4 up to 3.7. I would also consider supporting from 3.5
onwards. Right now I've done some tests against 3.4 and that seems to run
fine. I'm fine with adding the classifiers.

Cheers, Fokko

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <mi...@smith-li.com>.
Fokko, as far as workflow goes I’m just asking if it’s ok to start merging
PRs that only support 3.5+ after 1.9 “final” goes out.

That would have two consequences:

1. avro-python3-1.9 would work with python3.4 as well as it ever has.
2. Maintenance releases of 1.9 would need to be cut from a 1.9-based branch
instead of master, if we want to continue to support 3.4 at that time.

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
+1 from my side

Op za 4 mei 2019 om 20:47 schreef Rajkumar Natarajan <ra...@gmail.com>

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by Rajkumar Natarajan <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by sajuukk <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <mi...@smith-li.com>.

Re: Python 3 support

Re: Python 3 support

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <mi...@smith-li.com>.
Hi, Piotr,

Thanks for posting this for discussion.

In my work projects we use Python 3.6, 3.7, and (cough) 2.7. So it won’t
hurt me directly if Avro doesn’t support Python 3.4 anymore. However,
avro-py3 is a library, so wide version support is appropriate in my opinion.

Python still supports 3.4. There will be one more supported release next
March if it all goes according to the release schedule in PEP 429.

As you previously pointed out, 13% of pypi downloads in one recent month
indicated 3.4. But I don’t think that’s a small number. I think that’s a
worthwhile-sized minority.

I would love to use fstrings. Even moreso I want to use native type hints,
and then get mypy running on yetus. But I genuinely think supporting 3.4 as
long as Python does is the right thing to do for now.

That said, I think we should also plan to deprecate it soon. We can drop
deprecation warnings in the code now and plan to obsolete it completely in
2019.

That’s my opinion. If Apache/avro has an official version compatibility
support policy, someone please clue us in!

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0429/#id4

Re: Python 3 support