Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Dominic Barnes <do...@twilio.com.INVALID> on 2022/06/09 21:06:36 UTC

Patch release for Go libraries to address CVE-2022-28948

Howdy!

I'm a first-time contributor, and I just opened a PR to update a dev/test
dependency (github.com/stretchr/testify) to address a security
vulnerability being reported downstream:

https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/13322 (more context included here)

The PR was originally opened against the release-v7.0.0 branch, but I was
then pointed towards using master instead, with the intention of
backporting the commit/change for v6.0.2, v7.0.1 and v8.0.1 releases.

While not merged yet, it sounded like I should get the ball rolling now.
Let me know how I can help get this across the finish line.

--
Dominic Barnes

he/him/his
Staff Software Engineer
[image: Twilio] <https://www.twilio.com/?utm_source=email_signature>
EMAIL dobarnes@twilio.com
TWITTER @mako281 <https://twitter.com/mako281>
GITHUB dominicbarnes <https://github.com/dominicbarnes>

Re: Patch release for Go libraries to address CVE-2022-28948

Posted by Dominic Barnes <do...@twilio.com.INVALID>.
Just following up on this, the PR has been merged for v9, but I still need
the patch backported to v6, v7 and v8.

If there's anything I can do to help get that over the finish line, let me
know. Thanks again!

Re: [Go][Release][Discussion] Patch release for Go libraries to address CVE-2022-28948

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

It seems that there are no objections for this release plan.

I've prepared 6.0.2, 7.0.1 and 8.0.1. I'll start votes for
them.

kou

In <20...@clear-code.com>
  "Re: [Go][Release][Discussion] Patch release for Go libraries to address CVE-2022-28948" on Fri, 08 Jul 2022 11:01:01 +0900 (JST),

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Topol <zo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

I'm also not an expert but I think that we need to "release"
(vote) a patch version. (I think that just doing "git tag"
isn't suitable.)

Because we need to "release" to announce users to use
"go/v8.0.1" rather than "go/v8.0.0":

https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication

> Projects SHALL publish official releases and SHALL NOT
> publish unreleased materials outside the development
> community.

We can't mark 8.0.1 as official unless we "release" 8.0.1.

(I understand that Go doesn't need released materials. Go
just needs a Git tag. I understand that the ASF's release
policy isn't suitable for recent languages such as Go and
Julia. Micah started a discussion it in another place. The
ASF's release policy may be updated in future.)

But we don't need to release binary artifacts because we
don't have any binary artifacts for Go. We can just release
a source archive for patch releases of this.

Again, I'm also not an expert. I hope that others comment on
this too.

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [Go][Release][Discussion] Patch release for Go libraries to address CVE-2022-28948" on Fri, 10 Jun 2022 11:43:26 -0400,

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Topol <zo...@gmail.com>.