Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "David H. Lipman" <DL...@Verizon.Net> on 2011/10/02 05:08:24 UTC

Incubation --> hatchling ?

How long is the incubation period and when can we expect a hatchling ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

RE: Incubation --> hatchling ?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@msn.com>.
Dave,

About your question concerning when podlings graduate from incubation:

There is no set time for duration as a podling.

After the first quarter of monthly status, a podling generally reports status and progress on a quarterly basis.  (October is the first quarterly report for Apache OOo.)  Our last monthly report occurs alphabetically in the page at
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/September2011>.

At some point there will be an application for graduation.  It is not close yet.

There are gating conditions that must be satisfied for a podling to graduate to a top-level project (TLP) where it has its own PMC, makes releases on its own, etc.  (A podling can graduate into another TLP, but that is not being considered for Apache OpenOffice.org.)  This is when official Apache OpenOffice.org releases can be made.

Incubator releases can be made under a special procedure (and doing that is an early goal for the Apache OOo podling):
<http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases>.

Here are the graduation requirements:
<http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator>.
If you have questions breaking the code language in here, please ask.

The graduation requirements are part of a larger policy:
<http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html>.

Here's the guide for successful graduation that applies to podlings:
< http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html>.

Here's the lifecycle of the incubation process:
<http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html>.

Here are the roles and responsibilities that come into play in the creation of a podling and its nurture until graduation or termination.
 <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html>.

That is essentially all that's known to the OOo podling at this point.

 - Dennis