Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Cohen <St...@ignitesports.com> on 2001/12/24 14:22:26 UTC

Ant StarteamCheckin - I'm stymied

I had hoped to have an implementation of StarTeamCheckin ready by the
end of the holidays.  But this no longer seems a reachable goal,
certainly not in this timeframe and possibly not ever.  I have reached a
real roadblock.

The logic had seemed quite straightforward.  That was before I put the
rubber to the road and actually tried to build it.  Understand that the
Starteam API is undocumented.  My only documentation is decompiled
object code.  That was good enough for checkout, which compared to
checkin is implemented quite straightforwardly.  Checkin seems to go
through an extra layer -- "command layer" and my implementation is
producing an error that I can make neither head nor tail of.

It would be helpful if I could get some real documentation from
Starbase.  Just javadocs for their SDK would be enormously helpful.
(Starbase actually discourages use of the SDK.)  What is the experience
of this list as to how cooperative such vendors might be with an
open-source project like ant?  Are there any pointers you might have as
to approaches that are likely to be more successful than others in
obtaining the needed information from them?

Thanks.
Steve Cohen