Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org> on 2003/02/16 18:53:38 UTC

ModPerl registry woes?

Dear EmbPerl veterans,

I'm still trying to get EmbPerl to cooperate with Mod_Perl 1.99_08 and
Apache 2.0.44.  Thanks to Gerald Richter, I got past my compile error by
using the CVS version, but now I can't get past the test suite at the
point it tried to fire up Apache.  If I run the test suite unaltered -
the error I get is:

    Starting httpd...       [Sun Feb 16 09:33:51 2003] [warn] PassEnv
       variable ACTION_PREFIX was undefined

    [Sun Feb 16 09:33:51 2003] [error] Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm
       in @INC

Well, ModPerl/Registry.pm is actually in Apache2/ModPerl/Registry.pm.
So, I tried making a symlink so that there was a ModPerl/Registry.pm.
Alas, that has no effect.

Undaunted (yet!) I decided to edit embperl/test/conf/startup.pl to change
ModPerl::Registry to Apache2::ModPerl::Registry.  That produces an even
more puzzling error message:

    Starting httpd...       [Sun Feb 16 09:35:53 2003] [warn] PassEnv
       variable ACTION_PREFIX was undefined

    [Sun Feb 16 09:35:53 2003] [error] Base class package
      "ModPerl::RegistryCooker" is empty.

    (Perhaps you need to 'use' the module which defines that package
       first.) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/
       i686-linux-thread-multi/Apache2/ModPerl/Registry.pm line
       11

Well, the file Apache2/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm isn't at all empty.  Nor
is  Perl complaining that it can't find the file RegistryCooker.pm .... so???

I see that, even if I didn't ask for it, mod_perl 1.99_08 installed the
files to permit mod_perl 1 compatibility. Is that the problem here?

Any Perls of wisdom are as always appreciated!

Peace, Edouard :-)

Embperl happy with SpeedyCGI (Re: Embperl::Execute within FastCGI app?)

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Gerald (and Embperl users,)

Thanks for getting back to me on this and glad to see 2.0b9!! :-)

No rush on this problem.  I won't doing anything with FastCGI for at
least a month.  FYI though, ... my e-card application that uses Embperl
(Penguin Greetings) runs just great using SpeedyCGI <http://
www.daemoninc.com/SpeedyCGI/>.  While lacking as much configuration
controls, it is much easier to use and just about any script can use it.
 All you need to do to use a standard CGI script as a SpeedyCGI script is
to swap the /usr/bin/perl at the top with /usr/bin/speedy !!  I haven't
tried embpcgi.pl with SpeedyCGI, but since Penguin Greetings makes
basically the same calls, I assume it would work too.

Another trick to throw into the toolbox!

Peace, Edouard :-)

==================================
Edouard Lagache
Lead Developer, Penguin Greetings
http://pgreet.sourceforge.net/
pgreetdev@canebas.org
----------------------------------

Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> wrote at Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:22:34 +0200

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Embperl folks,

I'm trying to improve the performance of my greeting card application by
using FastCGI.  I'm using the CGI::Fast interface and the Apache-2
mod_fastcgi module.  Sample FastCGI programs work fine and my script will
bring up the login screen, but anything after that generates the
following weird error:

FastCGI: server "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/pgreet.pl.fcgi" stderr: Usage:
FCGI::Stream::READ(stream, bufsv, len, ...) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/
5.8.0/i686-linux-thread-multi/Embperl.pm line 109.

Now line 109 is the line with the asterisks below from this snippet of
file Embperl.pm.

    if (!ref $_ep_param)
        {
        Embperl::Req::ExecuteRequest (undef, { inputfile => $_ep_param,
param => [@_]}) ;
        }
    else
        {
***        Embperl::Req::ExecuteRequest (undef, $_ep_param) ;
        }
    }

Clearly the error has something to do with reassigning IO streams, but
since Embperl works with FastCGI, I wasn't sure why this would be a
problem.  I looked at the call Embperl::Execute in embpfastcgi.pl and
didn't see any special calling convention.  Is there some special trick
to call Embperl from within a fastCGI application?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peace, Edouard :-)

==================================

Re[4]: EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (Solution!! :-)

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Embperl folks,

Thanks to Gavin, Jaak, and Tia for all their support and patience.  So
the solution for my apache httpd.conf file was to (for anyone
searching the list with this problem:)

# Include the Embperl shared library
LoadModule embperl_module modules/Embperl.so
# Turn on Embperl Environment
Embperl_UseEnv on

# Now within the directory where you are working
<Directory "/www/mydir">
    # Assign an application name for your web environment
    EMBPERL_APPNAME My_app_name
    # only NOW can you assign this file!! :-)
    EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE My_base_obj.epl.html
.
.
.
</Directory>

Thanks again!

Peace, Edouard :-)

Re: Re[3]: EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (again :-()

Posted by Jaak <va...@hot.ee>.
On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 02:20, Edouard Lagache wrote:
> Dear Tia and other Embperl folks,

hi!

You also must have EMBPERL_APPNAME declaration in your config.

>>From README.v2:

- For every container in your httpd.conf (e.g.
VirtualHost,Directory,Location)
  where you want to define any application level configuration
directives
  (see below under tAppConfig for a list), you need to set a unique
  value for EMBPERL_APPNAME. This is for example necessay for all
  Embperl::Object parameters. Example:

  <Location /eo>
  EMBPERL_APPNAME my_embperl_app
  EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE base.epl
  </Location>

Re[3]: EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (again :-()

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Tia and other Embperl folks,

I added this declaration right below the use of Embperl like this:

###  EmbPerl declarations
PerlModule Embperl
Embperl_UseEnv on
AddType text/html .epl

Alas, nope this didn't change a thing.  Embperl still looks for
'_base.epl' only.  I've attached my whole httpd.conf in case the
problem lies elsewhere.  *Sigh*, S-S-S-Simple ... isn't it!

Thank again for all your help!

Peace, Edouard :-)

Re[2]: EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (? saga continues :-( )

Posted by Dimka <di...@dimka.ee>.

Re: EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (? saga continues :-( )

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Emperl folks,

Thanks Jaak!  Indeed I didn't have Embperl.so loaded.  (How did I manage to
get this far without that?!?!? :-)

Alas, this didn't change as much as I would have hoped.  Now my httpd.conf
file is being happily used, but my declarations are still being ... ignored
:-( Observe:

[Thu Mar 20 11:57:06 2003] [error] [28298]ERR:  404: : Not found '_base.epl', searched:
[Thu Mar 20 11:57:06 2003] [error] Embperl::Object base _base.epl not found. Searched '/home/httpd/htdocs' and ''

I've attached my latest httpd.conf file snippet.  Does anyone else see some
other obvious stupid mistake that was desperately struggling to come
out from my last mistake? :-)

Thanks again to all!!

Edouard :-)

#### ModPerl Configuration ####
# Add the Mod Perl module
LoadModule embperl_module modules/Embperl.so
PerlModule Apache2

# PerlModule Apache::compat

PerlModule ModPerl::Registry

# Workspace for Perl development
Alias /perl/ /home/httpd/perl/
  <Location /perl/>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
      PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
      Options +ExecCGI
  </Location>

###  EmbPerl declarations
PerlModule Embperl

AddType text/html .epl

<Files *.epl>
	SetHandler  perl-script
    PerlHandler Embperl
    Options     ExecCGI
</files>

# Setup EmbPerl handler for Object oriented example for main page.
<Directory "/home/httpd/htdocs">
	EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE CanebasTemplate.epl
	EMBPERL_LOG /var/log/httpd/embperl.log
	EMBPERL_DEBUG 1
	<FilesMatch ".*\.epl\.html$">
		Options All
		AcceptPathInfo on
	    AllowOverride All
		SetHandler perl-script
		PerlHandler Embperl::Object
	</FilesMatch>
	<FilesMatch ".*\.epl$">
		Order allow,deny
		Deny From all
	</FilesMatch>
</Directory>

Re: EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (?? - The sequel!)

Posted by Jaak <va...@hot.ee>.
hi!

> Shutting down httpd:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 260 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by
> a module not included in the server configuration
>
> so ....  presumably the error is elsewhere.  Here is more of my
> httpd.conf file.  What's obviously wrong that I can't spot but one of you
> all will immediately see! :-)
>
> #### ModPerl Configuration ####
> # Add the Mod Perl module
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so

You also have to load Embperl.so and then it shoud work.

EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (?? - The sequel!)

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Gavin (and fellow Embperl-ophiles,)

Well, .... I did wuz you'all said, but my installation of Apache,
mod_perl, Embperl, etc. doesn't find it agreeable.  Now I get the
following error from Apache when I try to start:

[...]

<Directory "/home/httpd/htdocs/prototype">
	<FilesMatch ".*\.epl\.html$">
		SetHandler perl-script
		PerlHandler Embperl::Object
 	    EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE CanebasTemplate.epl
		Options ExecCGI
	</FilesMatch>
	<FilesMatch ".*\.epl$">
		Order allow,deny
		Deny From all
	</FilesMatch>
</Directory>

Let's hear it for multiple eyes!

Peace, Edouard :-)

Gavin Carr <ga...@openfusion.com.au> wrote at Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:02:48 +1100

Re: PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE (??)

Posted by Gavin Carr <ga...@openfusion.com.au>.
Hi Edouard,

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear Embperl fans,

After getting one web site settled out on Embperl, I graduated to
Embperl::Object for my main Canebas web site - Ooh, I like this!! :-)

A minor glitch that I couldn't find in listserv archives though.  Just
setting the EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE environmental variable in the Apache
configuration file seems to have no effect.  If I instead just use
_base.epl as my base object everything is happy as a clam, but it would
be nice to choose my own file name.  Is this just a bug on the "low
priority fix it" list or is the example in the Embperl documentation obsolete?

Thanks to Gerald and friends for such a cool toy! (err, tool :-)

Edouard :-)

P.S.  Just to lay out the parameters completely, the affected part of
httpd.conf is:

# Setup EmbPerl handler for Object oriented example for main page.
<Directory "/home/httpd/htdocs/prototype">
  PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE template.epl
	<FilesMatch ".*\.epl\.html$">
		SetHandler perl-script
		PerlHandler Embperl::Object
		Options ExecCGI
	</FilesMatch>
	<FilesMatch ".*\.epl$">
		Order allow,deny
		Deny From all
	</FilesMatch>
</Directory>

and the entry in the Apache error log is:

[Mon Mar 17 09:50:45 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_08
Perl/v5.8.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Mar 17 09:50:53 2003] [error] [6338]ERR:  404: : Not found
'_base.epl', searched:
[Mon Mar 17 09:50:53 2003] [error] Embperl::Object base _base.epl not
found. Searched '/home/httpd/htdocs/prototype /home/httpd/htdocs' and

Re: Embperl::Execute with your variables?

Posted by Kee Hinckley <na...@somewhere.com>.
At 5:14 PM -0800 3/10/03, Edouard Lagache wrote:
>Dear EmbPerl veterans,
>
>I'm trying to incorporate EmbPerl into a web-based greeting card program,
>and I would like allow card designers to have access to about 25+
>variables from the main script in their HTML templates.

Your simplest solution might be to simply stuff the variables into an
external package.  But you'd want to make them read-only presumably,
so maybe a method would be best.

So you could pass in the "param" variable a pointer to an object, and
then they could call that.

$_[0]->myvar1()
$_[0]->myvar2()

Or even $[0]_->var('name of var')

If you're using EmbperlObject you can get the same kind of effect by
making their fields a child of a parent object that has those methods.

Unfortunately there's not a good way to automatically get a "$this"
or "$self" variable.  Unless you tell them to start their code with
something like:

[$ var $this $][- $this = shift -]

Which is in fact how I start all of my EmbperlObject files.

I'm afraid I'm not being terribly clear.  It's been a long day.  But
if nobody else does a better job of explaining let me know and I'll
dig up some examples.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.

Embperl::Execute with your variables?

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Dear EmbPerl veterans,

I'm trying to incorporate EmbPerl into a web-based greeting card program,
and I would like allow card designers to have access to about 25+
variables from the main script in their HTML templates.

I thought I could use something like this from the example file Execute.pl:

    $MyPackage::Interface::Var = 'Some Var' ;

    Embperl::Execute ({input		=> \'<P>Transfer some vars [+ $Var +] !</P>',
						 inputfile	=> 'Var',
						 mtime      => 1,
						 'package'  => 'MyPackage::Interface',
						 req_rec    => $r}) ;

However, I'm puzzled by the use of the option key 'inputfile' and can't
see how to specify more than one variable - never mind 25!  Has someone
messed around with this feature and would have some examples in between
this one and just reading the .pm source code? :-)

Peace, Edouard :-)

--------------------------
Edouard Lagache, Sysadmin
canebas.org
elagache@canebas.org
29 Altamount Drive
Orinda, CA, 94563

Thanks! Happy Camel! (Re: ModPerl registry woes?)

Posted by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org>.
Thanks Randy and Gerald!

Finally, all obstacles are overcome and EmbPerl is running happy on
<canebas.org>!

Sigh, now I've got to convert all my static web pages! :-)

Peace, Edouard :-)

Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> wrote at Sun, 16 Feb
2003 13:00:41 -0600

Re: ModPerl registry woes?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Edouard Lagache wrote:

> Dear EmbPerl veterans,
>
> I'm still trying to get EmbPerl to cooperate with Mod_Perl
> 1.99_08 and Apache 2.0.44.  Thanks to Gerald Richter, I got
> past my compile error by using the CVS version, but now I can't
> get past the test suite at the point it tried to fire up
> Apache.  If I run the test suite unaltered - the error I get
> is:
>
>     Starting httpd...       [Sun Feb 16 09:33:51 2003] [warn] PassEnv
>        variable ACTION_PREFIX was undefined
>
>     [Sun Feb 16 09:33:51 2003] [error] Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm
>        in @INC
>
> Well, ModPerl/Registry.pm is actually in Apache2/ModPerl/Registry.pm.
> So, I tried making a symlink so that there was a ModPerl/Registry.pm.
> Alas, that has no effect.
[ .. ]