Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Martin Hauner <Ma...@gmx.net> on 2006/10/23 11:25:14 UTC

Subcommander 1.2.1 released.

Subcommander, http://subcommander.tigris.org
is a cross platform Win32, Unix and MacOSX Subversion GUI client and a
visual text diff/merge tool.

Subcommander 1.2.1 is ready with a few bug fixes for 1.2.0.

Subcommander 1.2.1 is available from:

Sources Archives (Unix/MacOSX,Win32):

http://subcommander.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=2886

Win32 Binaries:

http://subcommander.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=2888

MacOSX Binaries:

http://subcommander.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=4850

Documentation (pdf):

http://subcommander.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=4189

-- CHANGES ------------------------------------------------------------------

Subcommander Version 1.2.1 (released 23rd October 2006, tags/1.2.1)

  [based on subversion 1.2 api]

  subcommander/submerge

  * fixed: [Issue 174] fixed windows startup crash when APPDATA is not set.

  subcommander

  * fixed: [Issue 173] fixed memory leaks in log graph cleanup.
  * fixed: fixed an "..." button crash ([Issue 175]) and a branch/tag crash
    which were introduced in 1.2.0.

--
Martin

Subcommander 1.2.1, http://subcommander.tigris.org
a cross platform Win32/Unix/MacOSX subversion gui client & diff/merge tool.
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Subcommander 1.2.1 released.

Posted by Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>.
I've just downloaded subcommander to try it out. Are you interested in

Suggestions for improvements to the documentation?
Suggestions for improvements to the program?
Questions about why something works the way it does?
Details of program crashes?

If so, where should I send them - is there a mailing list, or what?

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
http://www.trumphurst.com/

Re: Subcommander 1.2.1 released.

Posted by Martin Hauner <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

> On windows, is there any point using subcommander, since we got
> tortoisesvn?

That's basically a matter of taste. Try it and see for yourself.

Here are a few things i like about Subcommander, i guess it is biased,
but you asked ;)

I can see all important info of my working copy quickly. In
Subcommander this is just a single status reload and I can see
everything what's going on in the working copy.

It is very easy to create branches and tags. Chose tag/branch on
the source bookmark, enter the name, ok, done.

It is very easy to merge changes from trunk to a branch. Just run
log on the source branch (bookmarked) and select the revisions you
like to merge and the destination path (bookmarked working copy)
and you are done. I don't have to enter anything.

That's the stuff I'm heavily using at work. We are creating many
releases on multiple branches. The branch/tag/merge cycle works
quite fluid with Subcommander.

>  And why is sincommander 2 major versions behind subversion?

I guess you are refering to "based on 1.2 api"?

I'm doing this all in my spare time, so it takes its time to
catch up with subversion. I'm getting closer but subversion
still has the lead... ;-)

Anyone is welcome to help.. :)

Posted by Martin Hauner <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin Hauner <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>> > [based on subversion 1.2 api]
>> >
>> > Which means Subcommander is at least incompatible with 1.4 WCs.
>>
>> No, this is a misunderstanding, maybe i should change the text.
>>
>> The binaries are build against subversion 1.4.0 and there is no
>> problem with a 1.4 wc.
>>
>> This info above is only intersting for those people that build
>> subcommander from source. They will at least need subversion 1.2.
>
> Exactly, but for the end user, I think it's most convenient to know on
> which version you built the pre-built binaries (if you have them):
> that's what determines working copy format, serf support and other
> features.

I will use a better text for the next release that will hopefully
be clear on the issue which subversion version is used and required.

I didn't know that the note was so confusing...

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> > [based on subversion 1.2 api]
> >
> > Which means Subcommander is at least incompatible with 1.4 WCs.
>
> No, this is a misunderstanding, maybe i should change the text.
>
> The binaries are build against subversion 1.4.0 and there is no
> problem with a 1.4 wc.
>
> This info above is only intersting for those people that build
> subcommander from source. They will at least need subversion 1.2.

Exactly, but for the end user, I think it's most convenient to know on
which version you built the pre-built binaries (if you have them):
that's what determines working copy format, serf support and other
features.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Subcommander 1.2.1 released.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Hauner <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Von: "Patrick Burleson" <pb...@gmail.com>

Posted by Martin Hauner <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Von: "Patrick Burleson" <pb...@gmail.com>

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.
On 10/23/06, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2006, at 08:51, Russ wrote:
>

> > And why is sincommander 2 major versions behind subversion?
>
> We're not supposed to be caring about repository revision numbers:
> it's just a number. Similarly, why care about software version
> numbers? It's just a number. Subcommander 1.2.1 works with Subversion
> 1.4.0. That's good enough for me.

I think he was more worried about this line from the parent, not the
actual version number of Subcommander:

[based on subversion 1.2 api]

Which means Subcommander is at least incompatible with 1.4 WCs.

Patrick

Re: Subcommander 1.2.1 released.

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 23, 2006, at 08:51, Russ wrote:

> On windows, is there any point using subcommander, since we got
> tortoisesvn?

On Windows, is there any point using OpenOffice.org, since you've got
Microsoft Word? Answer: it's always good to have a choice.

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 10/23/06, Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Monday, October 23, 2006 1:51 PM +0000 Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On windows, is there any point using subcommander, since we got
> > tortoisesvn?  And why is sincommander 2 major versions behind
> subversion?
>
> I'm thinking about trying it, and removing Tortoise, because I hate when I
> browse a directory containing a WC and I have to wait for the entire 500
> MByte WC to get checked by Explorer while the Windows UI is frozen. The
> worst time this happens is when I'm browsing in an editor for a file to
> look at in another version of a project.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try subcommander but you can pretty easily
disable icons and/or recursive status icons. In tsvn settings, look at the
"icon overlays" dialog.

Re: Subcommander 1.2.1 released.

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>.
On windows, is there any point using subcommander, since we got tortoisesvn?  And why is sincommander 2 major versions behind subversion?

Russ
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.