Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Philip Mak <pm...@animeglobe.com> on 2002/01/06 15:04:07 UTC

HTTP file uploads with mod_accel

Has anyone been using mod_accel on a website that has HTTP file uploads?

I'm having trouble getting file uploads to work with Internet Explorer 5.5,
Netscape 4.7, or Opera 6 through mod_accel 1.0.10. If I access the backend
Apache directly, it works.

I can upload a 1491 byte file, but I can't upload a 13643 byte file (no
matter which web browser I use). When I try to upload the 13643 byte file
through mod_accel, the browser just keeps acting like it's loading the page
and never finishes.

I'm guessing there might be a buffering problem, but I'm not sure how to go
about finding the cause of the problem and fixing it... any suggestions?

Re: Fixed (Re: HTTP file uploads with mod_accel)

Posted by Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>.
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Issac Goldstand wrote:

>   DOES mod_accel buffer the uploads as they come through?  That feature
> would be critical for compatibility with libapreq's UPLOAD_HOOK, which I'm
> finding lots of nice uses for...

Yes, mod_accel buffers completly uploads and starting from 1.0.8
broken uploads even do not go to backend.
The are two reasons:
1. Backend should not wait slow client upload.
2. To implement simple fault-tolerance I need to collect whole upload.
Although second reason does not require to collect whole upload before
sending it to backend.

There is workaround to use UPLOAD_HOOK on backend - you can use mod_proxy
with mod_accel:

ProxyPass          /upload/      http://backend/upload/
ProxyPassReverse   /upload/      http://backend/upload/
AccelPass          /             http://backend/
AccelNoPass        /upload/

Igor Sysoev

Re: Fixed (Re: HTTP file uploads with mod_accel)

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
Igor,
  DOES mod_accel buffer the uploads as they come through?  That feature
would be critical for compatibility with libapreq's UPLOAD_HOOK, which I'm
finding lots of nice uses for...

  Issac

Posted by Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>.

Posted by Philip Mak <pm...@animeglobe.com>.

Posted by Philip Mak <pm...@animeglobe.com>.
On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 04:16:00PM +0200, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> I use it with uploads and it all works fine.  What I still haven't
> tested is the UPLOAD_HOOK functionality of Apache::Request under it, but
> I'll get around to that shortly.

Hmm, I wonder if it's dependent on the CPAN module used to parse the file
uploads.

I'm using MwfCGI.pm (distributed with mwForum), which is a somewhat
modified version of CGI::Minimal.

Re: HTTP file uploads with mod_accel

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.