Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Deeksha Shrivastava <de...@nagarro.com> on 2022/04/26 07:56:54 UTC

Solr GC Tuning causes issues and doesn't start Solr url

Hi Team,

We have increased the JVM Heap Memory for Solr to "SOLR_JAVA_MEM=-Xms8g -Xmx10g"

Now, we are applying GC_TUNE setting for the same, "GC_TUNE=-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=4 etc."

As soon as we apply this GC Tuning setting in solr.in.cmd file and restart solr, the solr url stops working and throws error "The site can't be reached"

Also, the gc tuning logs are not getting generated after applying this setting even though we have enabled the GC_LOG. And we do not have JRE installed on the same server.

For solr we have a separate server just like CM, CD1 and CD2.

Solr version: 7.2.1
Sitecore version: 9.1.0

Please let us know if you require more information to investigate this and guide us through.

Thanks & Regards,

Deeksha Shrivastava
Senior Engineer
deeksha.shrivastava@nagarro.com<ma...@nagarro.com>
M: +91 7376139953

[cid:image001.gif@01D85971.4A1164A0]

Re: Solr GC Tuning causes issues and doesn't start Solr url

Posted by David Hastings <ha...@gmail.com>.
on a side note, once you have the JRE figured out, as a rule of thumb I
make my Xms and Xmx the exact same values, and if this is your own metal,
buy more memory and up those values up to 31Gb each

Posted by YOGENDRA SONI <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/16/22 05:45, Deeksha Shrivastava wrote:
> Even after installing java/jre on the machine, solr GC Tuning setting is not working. Can you please provide some resolution on the same and please let us know what information is needed to investigate this issue further.

You could start with the information already requested, which hasn't
been sent.

---
Detailed information about how you installed Solr.  This is especially
important because you are on Windows, and the download does not provide
a way to install Solr on Windows, you have to figure that out.

Exactly what command is being used to start Solr.  This may need further
clarification later.

Any changes you have made to any of the scripts included with Solr.  It
will be particularly important that we see the WHOLE solr.in.cmd file,
especially the part that you reduced to "etc" in your screenshot.

Java vendor and version.  The original message indicated Solr was
version 7.2.1.  If that has changed, let us know what version it is now.
---

Also, look for the solr console log and see if there is anything
relevant in that.  If Java never started, any information about what
went wrong is likely to be in that log.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr GC Tuning causes issues and doesn't start Solr url

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/24/22 06:17, Deeksha Shrivastava wrote:
> Solr set up was done long time back. Currently Solr is deployed on our QA and PROD servers, and our website's search functionality is working fine as of now.
>
> The Solr version installed is 7.2.1, previously java/jre was not installed but we did the installation of JRE 8 on the server.
>
> As per our understanding, no major changes were made in the script included with Solr.  We are attaching solr.in.cmd file for your reference.
>
> Attaching the solr.in.cmd and solr.log file.
>
> Please do let us know if we can provide any other configuration file for further reference.\

The attachment you sent hit my scanner and got quarantined because it
included an executable file -- solr.in.cmd.  It appears that the message
never made it to the mailing list at all, likely because the zipfile
includes a banned type of file.  I released the message from quarantine
on my server so I could read it. Attachments sent to the mailing list
almost never work -- I only got it because you sent the message directly
to me as well as the list.

It appears that you really do actually have the string "etc." configured
on the GC_TUNE variable in solr.in.cmd.  That's not going to work, and
probably would cause Solr to not start, because the Java commandline
would be invalid.  The variable is commented in the file you sent.

The log file contains two error messages that appear to be the same.
You tried indexing a document that was incompatible with your schema.
This is the relevant part of the error message: "multiple values
encountered for non multiValued field type_t_zh".  If you are going to
index multiple values in a field, the field MUST be multiValued, or Solr
will throw that error.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr GC Tuning causes issues and doesn't start Solr url

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/20/22 01:46, Ruchi Gupta wrote:
> Even after installing java/jre on the machine, solr GC Tuning setting is not working. We tried to enable it but then our solr service is not getting start. Can you please provide some resolution on the same and please let us know what information is needed to investigate this issue further? Please check the below mail chain for more details.

Your message didn't make it to the list.  I would imagine that's because
you're probably not subscribed to the list.

I have explained at least twice exactly what information is required.

Repeating what I said most recently:

-----------------

We need more information to be able to help.  This will be the starting
point:

Detailed information about how you installed Solr.  This is especially
important because you are on Windows, and the download does not provide
a way to install Solr on Windows, you have to figure that out.

Exactly what command is being used to start Solr.

Any changes you have made to any of the scripts included with Solr.  It
will be particularly important that we see the WHOLE solr.in.cmd file,
especially the part that you reduced to "etc" in your screenshot.

Java vendor and version.  The original message indicated Solr was
version 7.2.1.  If that has changed, let us know what version it is now.

-----------------

Additional: One of the logfiles that Solr writes is a console log.  When
Java refuses to start, there will generally be some kind of error
message in that logfile.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Solr GC Tuning causes issues and doesn't start Solr url

Posted by Ruchi Gupta <ru...@nagarro.com>.
Hi Team,

Even after installing java/jre on the machine, solr GC Tuning setting is not working. We tried to enable it but then our solr service is not getting start. Can you please provide some resolution on the same and please let us know what information is needed to investigate this issue further? Please check the below mail chain for more details.

Regards,
Ruchi Gupta

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Deeksha Shrivastava <de...@nagarro.com>.
++Re-attaching the attachment (converted to text file)

Posted by Vincenzo D'Amore <v....@gmail.com>.

--
Vincenzo D'Amore