Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Simon NANTY <Si...@amadeus.com> on 2016/06/21 11:48:09 UTC

Possible contribution to MLlib

Hi all,

In my team, we are currently developing a fork of spark MLlib extending K-means method such that it is possible to set its own distance function. In this implementation, it could be possible to directly pass, in argument of the K-means train function, a distance function whose signature is: (VectorWithNorm, VectorWithNorm) => Double.

We have found the Jira instance SPARK-11665 proposing to support new distances in bisecting K-means. There has also been the Jira instance SPARK-3219 proposing to add Bregman divergences as distance functions, but it has not been added to MLlib. Therefore, we are wondering if such an extension of MLlib K-means algorithm would be appreciated by the community and would have chances to get included in future spark releases.

Regards,

Simon Nanty

Re: Possible contribution to MLlib

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
I think it is valuable to make the distance function pluggable and also
provide some builtin distance function. This might be also useful for other
algorithms besides KMeans.

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang