Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2008/03/04 23:42:18 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Dear community,

I'm cross-posting this proposal to the developers lists of our other sibling projects, Pluto and Bridges, as well as our PMC as I think it might be of interest
to the whole Portals community.

For now though, my proposal only targets the Jetspeed project web site, and I'd like to hear who might be interested in this .

Until now, we've been defining our jetspeed website and documentation in (Maven-1) xdoc format, which makes it possible to maintain it in the svn repository,
and more or less "seemingly" integrate project meta-data and end user documentation in one central location to be pushed out (after generation) as our primary
project website and documentation.

While this more or less works "ok", as we all know, maven site generation has it peculiar quirks, and quite strict (and limiting) rules to obey to get it
working correctly.

Furthermore, although the goal of maintaining the documentation definitions versioned in svn by itself doesn't seem like a bad idea, in practice this poses
logical problems once a "release" tag has been set. Most commonly, the website documentation is in need of updating/correcting for an already released version,
so changes usually are committed against the svn trunk which might already be (way) ahead in development.

One solution would be to maintain separate "documentation update" branches in svn, but that's cumbersome too to say the least.

On top of that, it is very difficult (and very impractical) to maintain online documentation for multiple release versions, while end users most likely will be
using different/older version(s) than just the current (trunk) development version.

And maintaining the maven site documentation in xdoc (or apt or even some more exotic) format is in practice, in my personal view, horrible to do.
AFAIK, there still isn't any good GUI support for writing this but using plain ASCII or XML format, and using and maintaing correct anchors and image references
without any proper (direct) feedback mechanism is quite error prone. For some this might be the perfect tool, but in my personal experience, these limitations
have hindered us (as project committers) very much in writing and providing some good and proper documentation.
Writing documentation usually already isn't the best quality of us coders (certainly not mine), but having to do so in maven site format definitely doesn't help.

Finally, although we have a MoinMoin Wiki for Jetspeed-2 too (see: http://wiki.apache.org/portals/jetspeed2) which can be used by both the committers and other
community members to provide more direct and interactive documentation, in reality hardly anyone uses it, is (in my view) ugly and difficult to use, and
contains mostly stale/outdated information.

And now, with our recent restructuring of our svn by moving the j2-admin and other portlet applications to a separate applications root folder so they now will
have their own life cycle, even more complex challenges arise. Maintaining and *integrating* two or even more maven generated websites under one primary site is
definitely not going to be easy (forget about maintaining documentation for multiple releases) ...

As we now are working on a major overhaul of the Jetspeed-2 build system (dropping the old maven-1/2 structure and replacing it with a clean maven-2 project
rewrite from scratch), maybe this now also is the right time to evaluate our current project documentation and website generation solution.

And as probably already obvious from my above "rant" against our current solution, I'd like to propose something completely different.

Since quite some time, several other Apache projects have moved to Confluence for their documentation tasks *and* their project website "generation".
Some good and also very nice *and* different looking examples are:
   Cayenne   - http://cayenne.apache.org
   Directory - http://directory.apache.org
   Felix     - http://felix.apache.org
   Geronimo  - http://geronimo.apache.org
   James     - http://james.apache.org
   Wicket    - http://wicket.apache.org
and there are several more.

Although Confluence is a real wiki, with an AutoExport plugin a static HTML site snapshot can automatically be created (after each change or update) and used as
basis for a Apache project website. Additionally, Velocity scripts can be run during the export to provide additional formatting for a custom styled website.

Although I could try to describe here all the procedures and possibilities of this solution and the benefits it brings, I think it better to read up on these
yourself and also see how these other projects are using it.

The primary documentation can be found here:
   http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/

The Geronimo and Wicket projects have some nice additional documentation how they make use of this:
   http://cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/geronimo-cwiki-documentation-architecture.html
and
   http://wicket.apache.org/writing-documentation.html

My proposal is simple:
- switch to using this Confluence+cwiki solution
- maintain separate Confluence spaces for release specific documentation for jetspeed-2, j2-admin and future products
- also allow selected end users (non-committers but with a CLA on file, see main CWIKI documentation for explanation)
   to maintain these official documentation spaces
- also switch to using Confluence for our public jetspeed-2 wiki (replacing MoinMoin) for additional non-official/endorsed project information
- integrate all the above in one new main cwiki based jetspeed-2 project website

WDYT?

Regards,

Ate

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
All the x-posting confuses me.
Now that everyone is aware of the proposal, can we discuss this on
general?

I like the idea of using Confluence. In general I am +1.
Just a few questions, which I will ask on general...

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Posted by Dennis Dam <d....@hippo.nl>.
Great idea! It will make it easier and more motivating to write
documentation , because you see result almost in an instant. On top of
that there are lots of other advantages, like more flexible styling
possibilities, export/import to other spaces, etc.

Big +1 !

Dennis

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Ate Douma wrote:

>> I think it's easier to go with the problems of a maintained software
>> than trying to use something which is currently not installed. But I'm
>> following majority here.
> Without some kind of infra support for a newer/newest MoinMoin, I agree
> this isn't going to work out.
> I'm just stating my preference for if and why I think it is a better
> alternative, but only *if* it can be supported.
> Confluence is "nice", but also a pain in some quite important area's.

Yes, I agree - so how to we proceed. So far, it's just the two of us
discussing
this. I'm really interested in other opinions.

As a start we could try to get some response from infra about a newer
MoinMoin version and what they think about it. We could also try to
convince the confluence people to fix the problems although I doubt that
this will be solved in a short time frame.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hmm, I agree that this is a problem. In Felix we solve this (partially)
> by prefixing the page names with the sub projects. It works but calls
> for trouble over time.
>
> I can only say that I really hate (perhaps hate is a little bit too
> strong) the current MoinMoin installation we have.
Belief me, I'm not a fan of the current installation either.

> If newer versions are
> better, I would be fine with that; but I doubt that this will be easy to
> be maintained by infra. On the other hand Confluence has a very strong
> support.
True, but the current MoinMoin is maintained/support too and I don't see that going away any time soon.
The question is: when, how and by whom can our current version be upgraded?
And if that won't be possible any time soon, can we have a second/independent installation (just for
portals.apache.org)?

> Now, we have two problems if I understand this correctly:
> a) Possible page name clashes in the general content
> This could be solved by prefixing; as this content is more of a static
> nature, we should come around this.
Yes, that can be done. But Felix and most other projects don't have full blown sub projects to consider, each with
usually many similar topics to describe. With Portals, this is quite different.
We need to specify strict naming rules to keep us from ending up in a big mess.

> b) Nesting of spaces
> I'm not quiet sure, but I think this can be easily done. If we export
> the general space to portals.a.o, the j2 space to portals.a.o/j2 etc.
> everything should work out of the box. Or do I oversee something here?
No, I agree that's the general idea.

But what I'm afraid of is that we are going to see an explosion of confluence spaces:
  1) site: general + pluto + bridges + apa (+apps) + j2 + j2admin + wsrp4j (all in one space)
  2) pluto v1.1.5 doc
  3) pluto v2.0 doc
  4) bridges v1.0.4 doc
  5) j2 v2.1.3 doc
  6) j2 v2.2 doc
  7) j2-admin v2.2 doc
  8) wsrp4j v1.0 doc
10) apa-<app1> v1.0 doc
11) apa-<app2> v1.0 doc
13) apa-<app3> v1.0 doc

Of course, the above set is just the beginning, with newer (major) releases and/or new apa apps added, this set might
expand rapidly.

The nice thing of MoinMoin is that one doesn't have to concern itself with all these "Spaces", unique page names etc,
nor merging separate "spaces" in one url space: everything can be managed inline/online and in realtime with MoinMoin.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hmm, I agree that this is a problem. In Felix we solve this (partially)
by prefixing the page names with the sub projects. It works but calls
for trouble over time.

I can only say that I really hate (perhaps hate is a little bit too
strong) the current MoinMoin installation we have. If newer versions are

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ate for the additional information.

Yes, I really would like to include all sub projects. Let's use just one
technology and one way of dealing with documentation for the whole
portals project.

I never thought of having different spaces per released version (or
branch or whatever you call it), but it seems to make sense.

So +1 for the proposal (just rephrasing what you wrote):

- Space PORTALS all general information for both the Portals project
(like http://portals.apache.org) as well as for the subprojects
(Jetspeed, Pluto, Bridges, etc.).
- Additional release related spaces like J2xDOC213, J2xDOC22, PLUTOx115,
PLUTOx20, BRIDGESx104 (PORTALS links to these spaces)
- PORTALSxWIKI for the "public" wiki for the whole portals project

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move to confluence and cwiki for project website and documentation

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Ugh, as David already pointed out, x-posting such a message leads to confusion where follow up responses should be send too.
I should have known better and send this to general@ in the first place.

Anyway, sending this one last time "across the board" so everyone is aware to follow up please on general@ now.

Now in response to Noel, see further comments below

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> +1, but ...
>
>> we now are working on a major overhaul of the Jetspeed-2 build system
>> (dropping the old maven-1/2 structure and replacing it with a clean
>> maven-2 project rewrite from scratch)
>
> How's about dropping Maven entirely, and using a proper Ant build system?
> :-)  ESPECIALLY if you are no longer going to use Maven to generate site
> content.
Right, why not add some more confusion to the x-posting mess by hijacking the proposal and add some Maven v.s. Ant controversy ;)

I just want to say (now) that I'm of course open to discuss this further, but please in a separate thread.
While I might not be the biggest maven fan on this planet (for sure), I still do see merit in using it.
Furthermore, moving to Confluence doesn't mean we no longer can use maven to generate some metadata/reports/javadoc pages etc. for integrating in the site as well.

>> - switch to using this Confluence+cwiki solution
>
>> - also allow selected end users (non-committers but with a CLA on file)
>>   to maintain these official documentation spaces
>
> If they have a CLA on file, and are contributing to the official project
> documentation, they *ARE* Committers.  They just aren't coders, and don't
> have SVN access.
Well, that's not how I understand how it is described on the CWIKI page, or even here: http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html.
Although a committer must have a CLA on file, can't a "contributer" have a CLA on file too without being a committer?
My interpretation (and idea behind this) was a more "light weight" process could be followed to allow contributers modifying official project documentation once
they signed a CLA.
But if having a CLA on file == committer, I think it only slightly limits our flexibility here and won't really matter much for the proposal.

Regards,

Ate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.