Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/15 14:23:23 UTC

m2.. or mvn?

Hi all,

Now I'm sure this is a programming faux pas (and also badly timed
being so near to 2.0 final) but I've been pondering this since the
alpha1 days - what do people think of renaming the m2 executable to
mvn?  The reasoning being:

* m2 does differentiate from the m1 maven executable, but what happens
when m2.1 and m3 come out - do we keep changing the cmdline?

* mvn still allows maven1 and maven2 to co-exist side-by-side, but is
also future-proof

* mvn is a handy TLA like svn, cvs or ant and other tools people type
many times a day

* the keys 'm', 'v' and 'n' are conveniently located almost
side-by-side on the same row

* mvn is simply maven with the vowels dropped

What do people think?  I realise this is hardly a blocker but it's
good to get off my chest!

Cheers,

Mark

Re: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 22:25 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>>Mark,
>>
>>I like it! I'd been thinking about this and resolved not to change it,
>>but we could certainly have both.
>>
>>What do others think?
>>

>Makes sense, but change it before the final release and just go with the
>one.

But then we'd need to remember it!

I was thinking renaming them to mvn, and having an m2 script that just
called mvn, possibly with a deprecation warning?

- Brett

Re: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 22:25 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I like it! I'd been thinking about this and resolved not to change it,
> but we could certainly have both.
>
> What do others think?

Makes sense, but change it before the final release and just go with the
one.

> - Brett
>
> Mark Hobson wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Now I'm sure this is a programming faux pas (and also badly timed
> >being so near to 2.0 final) but I've been pondering this since the
> >alpha1 days - what do people think of renaming the m2 executable to
> >mvn?  The reasoning being:
> >
> >* m2 does differentiate from the m1 maven executable, but what happens
> >when m2.1 and m3 come out - do we keep changing the cmdline?
> >
> >* mvn still allows maven1 and maven2 to co-exist side-by-side, but is
> >also future-proof
> >
> >* mvn is a handy TLA like svn, cvs or ant and other tools people type
> >many times a day
> >
> >* the keys 'm', 'v' and 'n' are conveniently located almost
> >side-by-side on the same row
> >
> >* mvn is simply maven with the vowels dropped
> >
> >What do people think?  I realise this is hardly a blocker but it's
> >good to get off my chest!
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Mark

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown

Re: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 for mvn

Re: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@axelero.hu>.
On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 02:38:10PM +0200, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
> I prefer it too (essentially for the 1st reason). I hope that m3 (if there's one) will not be incompatible with m2 projects !! ;-)
>
> Arnaud

Either solution is good for me, but should be mirrored
in the shell file, too (seems to me too small error
to deserve a private jira issue):

$ m2 --help
usage: maven [options] [<goal(s)>] [<phase(s)>]

[...]

incze

RE: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Mark,

Re: m2.. or mvn?

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Mark Hobson wrote:

Well.. changing the commandline with each version makes for easier
co-existense between versions. But when Maven 4 comes out we are going to
have a problem :)

I personally don't like the 'drop the vowels' choice. Unix is cluttered
enough with abbreviated commands as is, and the letters being close to
each other doesn't necessarily mean they're typed faster.

I personally would like the executable to be named 'maven', or 'maven2',
and keep m2 for backwards compatibility for a while. (I'll probably add an
alias m2 maven2 :))

Just my 2 cents.

-- Kenney

> Hi all,
>
> Now I'm sure this is a programming faux pas (and also badly timed
> being so near to 2.0 final) but I've been pondering this since the
> alpha1 days - what do people think of renaming the m2 executable to
> mvn?  The reasoning being:
>
> * m2 does differentiate from the m1 maven executable, but what happens
> when m2.1 and m3 come out - do we keep changing the cmdline?
>
> * mvn still allows maven1 and maven2 to co-exist side-by-side, but is
> also future-proof
>
> * mvn is a handy TLA like svn, cvs or ant and other tools people type
> many times a day
>
> * the keys 'm', 'v' and 'n' are conveniently located almost
> side-by-side on the same row
>
> * mvn is simply maven with the vowels dropped
>
> What do people think?  I realise this is hardly a blocker but it's
> good to get off my chest!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Kenney Westerhof