Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Ryan Haney <ry...@appology.net> on 2020/08/07 20:53:16 UTC

Can the plugins folder be deprecated?

I'm @prodrammer on GH.

I made some comments on https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-inappbrowser/issues/709 regarding a build error that manifested due to a "dirty" plugins folder. After nuking the plugins folder (via the script I include below), I was able to get the platform code built....but this raises the issue of why it happened in the first place.

@breautek on GH mentioned possibly getting rid of the plugins folder. Maybe?

I created this reset script that nukes node_modules, platforms (and now plugins) folders. When I run into build issues, this sometimes resolves things. I question why I have to do this as well...but it allows me to move forward.
```
ionic cordova platform rm ios
ionic cordova platform rm android
rm -rf node_modules
rm -rf plugins
npm i
ionic cordova platform add ios
ionic cordova platform add android
```

Re: Can the plugins folder be deprecated?

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
I would favor discussing this idea in
https://github.com/apache/cordova/issues or
https://github.com/apache/cordova-discuss/issues

I am thinking it would be really nice if Cordova would use the Cordova
plugin packages from node_modules rather than plugins in the future. I
think this would be more similar to how Capacitor and React Native work.

I think it would be good to get this documented in cordova-docs for now.

Unfortunately the maintainers seem to be pretty overloaded at this point.