Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Nicholson <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/27 17:43:44 UTC

Solution for Disaster spam?

What have people been using to curtail some of the new disaster spam that's
quite common now?
I usually don't use BAYES

Things like

*Man killed by flying cocktail glass*

*A-rod dropped from team*

*Obama withdraws support for Israel*

[MAYBE SOLVED] Re: Solution for Disaster spam?

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hi *,

Am 2008-08-01 19:28:44, schrieb Michelle Konzack:
> Right, spamassassin scored the spams with only -0.8 to +1.9 and I had to
> install an additional procmail rule which now capture arround  99.9%  of
> it.  But I should mention, that I get curently arround 180.000 per day.

Since Saturday 2008-08-09 spamassassin is  scoring  the  "Disaster spam"
with 5.3 and now it hit over 99.9% of the spams...

Gotten arround 780.000 over the last two days...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

RE: Solution for Disaster spam?

Posted by James Pratt <jp...@norwich.edu>.

If you are running clamd/clamav, you can install the
anti-scam/phishing/spam signatures from
http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/usage.htm and you should not see
these any more.

Fri Aug  1 13:16:13 2008 ->
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-m71HGDNr530135/Work/INPUTMBOX:
Email.Spam.Gen3737.Sanesecurity.08072802.StormSpam FOUND

Regards,
jamie

Re: Solution for Disaster spam?

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.

Posted by Michał Jęczalik <mi...@jeczalik.com>.

--
Michał Jęczalik, +48.603.64.62.97

Re: Solution for Disaster spam?

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> What have people been using to curtail some of the new disaster spam that's
> quite common now?
> I usually don't use BAYES
>
> Things like
>
> *Man killed by flying cocktail glass*
> *A-rod dropped from team*
> *Obama withdraws support for Israel*

That's StormWorm spawn spew, not stricly speaking spam. Be that as it may
it's actually more dangerous than spam, Clueless Lluser clicks on the
link and are p0wn3d.

Here the botnet plugin prettymuch always fires on those, SURBL/URIBL
pick them up soon after they start, RBLs such as CBL & SpamHaus
usually fire too.

Bottom line, network tests seem to be the best defense.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

> What have people been using to curtail some of the new
> disaster spam that's quite common now?
>

> I usually don't use BAYES
>

> Things like
>

> Man killed by flying cocktail glass
>

> A-rod dropped from team
>

> Obama withdraws support for Israel

Content preview:  McCain suffers sudden heart attack during flight to oil
rig
   http://parapendiolestreghe.it/topnews.html [...]

 pts rule name              description
 2.0 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
              [Blocked - see
<http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?147.236.238.35>]
 1.9 URIBL_AB_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: parapendiolestreghe.it]
 0.5 URIBL_SC_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: parapendiolestreghe.it]
 5.0 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 4.0 BOTNET                 Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
[botnet0.8,ip=147.236.238.35,rdns=autom-238-035.ladpc.co.il,maildomain=12go.nl,client,ipinhostname]
 1.3 HTML_TAG_BALANCE_BODY  BODY: HTML has unbalanced "body" tags
 1.5 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
 1.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 Razor2 gives engine 8 confidence level
                            above 50%
                            [cf: 100]
 0.5 RAZOR2_CHECK           Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
 0.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
                            [cf: 100]
 2.2 DCC_CHECK              Listed in DCC
(http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)
 1.0 DIGEST_MULTIPLE        Message hits more than one network digest check

<< jdow
Subject: Chris Matthews dies of too many thrills running up his leg

 You may have won a life time supply to a libido enhancement pill
 or any of 41,632 other valuable prizes. To qualify all you need
 do is send $51.99 cash to our processing house and install <link>
 this software so that you can participate in our botnet to make
 better use of the <gasp> UNUSED CPU cycles on your machine thus
 making it more efficient.

 I bet they'd find a few hundred thousand people idiot enough to send
 in their money and install the botnet.

{O,o}   <- too many silly pills today.

Re: Solution for Disaster spam?

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Arvid Ephraim Picciani <ae...@ibcsolutions.de>.
On Sunday 27 July 2008 17:43:44 Robert Nicholson wrote:
> What have people been using to curtail some of the new disaster spam that's
> quite common now?
nothing. see my previous post  ( "0 Points")

> I usually don't use BAYES
doesn't help anyway.

> Things like
>
> *Man killed by flying cocktail glass*
> *A-rod dropped from team*
> *Obama withdraws support for Israel*

Obama's family became victim of terrorist threats
Obama vows to win the elections so that he can bring daughters into the Oval
Kidney stealing ring busted
blablabla

yeah that kind of crap. The only thing you can do is wait until they used up
all their hacked relays and hacked websites. Their site is actually quiet
good. might result in a bunch of new zombies around *sigh*
Uribl is quick enough so it catches 90% of those for me, for the rest you'll
just have to be patient.

The proper solution would be implementing a plugin that analyses the
referenced website. That would finally kill canadian pharmacy as well.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Arvid Ephraim Picciani