Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Wiener <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2001/10/23 22:08:27 UTC

Newbie question: Has anyone had trouble compiling code containing HttpServletRequest.getRequestURL() ???

Hello,

I am currently running Tomcat 3.2.2 (I know, I've been meaning to
upgrade...) and I am using the default servlet.jar that comes with that
distribution. Whenever I try to compile the following code:

 public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
   throws ServletException, IOException {
     res.setContentType("text/plain");
     PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
     out.println(req.getRequestURL().toString());
 }

I get a compilation error saying that the compiler cannot resolve the
getRequestURL method in the HttpServletRequest Interface.

However the following code compiles just fine:

 public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
   throws ServletException, IOException {
     res.setContentType("text/plain");
     PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
     out.println(req.getRequestURI());
 }

am I missing something really obvious?  All the documentation I can find
says the getRequestURL() method is valid... Anyone else have a similar
problem?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

RE: Newbie question: Has anyone had trouble compiling code containing HttpServletRequest.getRequestURL() ???

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Hi Adam:

	Somewhere in your compiler classpath, you've got an older servlet.jar, as
the getRequestURL() method arrived in Servlet Spec 2.2.  It may take a
little hunting to find it, especially if you're using an IDE (I've run into
this problem with IBM VA-Java v3.5), but what you need to do is get your
compiler to compile using the servlet.jar that you will find in Tomcat's
/lib directory.

Good luck, don't get discouraged, it all eventually works pretty well...

Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.ca