Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Abraham Nelson <ab...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/16 21:51:36 UTC

Tutorial for using xalan?

Is there a decent tutorial on using xalan? The samples
and web site are completely unhelpful.

http://vote.yahoo.com

Re: Tutorial for using xalan?

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
> I beg to differ. I've been trying to do a simple
> document parse from memory (a string) and traversing
> it's DOM and doing XPath queries. The examples deal
> only with files; I'm guessing I need a differnet
> XSLTInputSource, but the APIs just have me going in
> circles, and the examples don't give a good sense of
> what's needed/being used.

Well, the StreamTransform sample works with strings in memory.  Also, you
should look at the Xerces-C samples for ideas about how parsing works.
They have a sample called MemParse, which does what you want to do.

Take a look at the SimpleXPathAPI sample, which uses the XPathEvaluator
class to evaluate XPath strings to find nodes in an instance of the source
tree.

Dave

Re: Tutorial for using xalan?

Posted by Abraham Nelson <ab...@yahoo.com>.
--- Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:51:36 -0700 (PDT), Abraham
> Nelson wrote:
>
> Define "using Xalan".  Once you've built Xalan,
> using it is mostly
> about writing XSLT stylesheets, for which there is
> plenty of info elsewhere.

Fine let me rephrase: getting started with a simple
program of what's needed (headers, etc) to do a simple
task without having to refer to the source of Xalan to
get any kind of clue of how to proceed.

> If you're talking about using Xalan within your own
> app, the API reference is
> a good help.

I beg to differ. I've been trying to do a simple
document parse from memory (a string) and traversing
it's DOM and doing XPath queries. The examples deal
only with files; I'm guessing I need a differnet
XSLTInputSource, but the APIs just have me going in
circles, and the examples don't give a good sense of
what's needed/being used.

Pathan and Sablotron - now THERE are two examples of
projects with good, descriptive APIs and helpful,
descriptive examples!

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Tutorial for using xalan?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.