Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <gy...@laserlink.net> on 2001/07/09 22:09:04 UTC

Apache::Test order

hi...

  I've been thinking about implementing a test ordering scheme for Apache
test and wanted to run it by everyone...

  basically from
  t/foo.t
  t/bar.t

  I'd like to be able to specify whether foo.t comes before or after bar.t
(without calling them 1foo.t :)
  my reasoning is that it makes more sense to first check whether a module
can be loaded, then check if it works alone, then check if it works as part
of a filter, but meaningful names don't always correspond to run order.

  anyway, I was thinking of something like a file called test.order, which
could be defined in t/ or any subdirectory and used to specify the exact run
order.  if the intersection of the files in test.order and the actual files
isn't null, bag it.

  sound reasonable?  I'm certainly open to other implementation schemes...

--Geoff

Re: Apache::Test order

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
>   I've been thinking about implementing a test ordering scheme for Apache
> test and wanted to run it by everyone...
>
>   basically from
>   t/foo.t
>   t/bar.t
>
>   I'd like to be able to specify whether foo.t comes before or after bar.t
> (without calling them 1foo.t :)
>   my reasoning is that it makes more sense to first check whether a module
> can be loaded, then check if it works alone, then check if it works as part
> of a filter, but meaningful names don't always correspond to run order.

But aren't you usually test the module for loading in the same test file?
Another suggestion can be to have a few subdirs with importance order:

1init/*t
2normal/*t

Also the current test frameworks proceeds with running other tests, no
matter what was the return status of the tests run earlier == tests are
independent. So even if you provide a specified order and the early tests
fail because something doesn't load, subsequent tests will be still run.
What's the gain?

Also how about specifying the order in the Makefile.PL? I think Brian
Moseley has asked for the same a few weeks ago and ended up using the
Makefile.PL, see the earlier thread about ordering.

>   anyway, I was thinking of something like a file called test.order, which
> could be defined in t/ or any subdirectory and used to specify the exact run
> order.  if the intersection of the files in test.order and the actual files
> isn't null, bag it.
>
>   sound reasonable?  I'm certainly open to other implementation schemes...

Of course we can implement anything we need, but first I'm trying to
understand the need ;)

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/