Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by jf simon <jf...@themis.com> on 2007/06/21 17:43:38 UTC

Using FC6 can't do a svn import on a SAMBA/CIFS share

Hi,

i want to have my repositories on a samba share that i mount from my FC6
linux host. on the first "svn import" on a newly created repository, i
get the following error:

(this seems to be same issue as
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-12/0044.shtml )

[eng@fw-2 tintin_data]$ svn import /tmp/pibs/pibs1.05.ppc64.3.11
file:///tintin_data/repo1/  -m "1st import"
Adding         /tmp/pibs/pibs1.05.ppc64.3.11/kernel
Adding         /tmp/pibs/pibs1.05.ppc64.3.11/kernel/keylib
Adding         /tmp/pibs/pibs1.05.ppc64.3.11/kernel/keylib/version.c
svn: Can't unlock prototype revision lockfile for transaction '0-1':
Permission denied
33G  2.7G  131G   2% /tintin_data

[eng@fw-2 tintin_data]$ df -h
//192.168.44.5/datadirs
                       133G  2.7G  131G   2% /tintin_data

if i do a "strace" i can see that the problem is on  a "rmdir"

close(4)                                = 0
rmdir("/tintin_data/repo1/db/transactions/0-1.txn") = -1 EEXIST (File
exists)
write(2, "svn: Can\'t unlock prototype revi"..., 87svn: Can't unlock
prototype revision lockfile for transaction '0-1': Permission denied
) = 87
close(3)                                = 0
close(5)                                = 0
munmap(0xb7d0a000, 212992)              = 0
munmap(0xb7d3e000, 212992)              = 0
exit_group(1)                           = ?
Process 8698 detached

Here are the files in the repo, after the problem:

[eng@fw-2 tintin_data]$ find repo1
repo1
repo1/dav
repo1/locks
repo1/locks/db.lock
repo1/locks/db-logs.lock
repo1/hooks
repo1/hooks/start-commit.tmpl
repo1/hooks/pre-commit.tmpl
repo1/hooks/pre-revprop-change.tmpl
repo1/hooks/pre-lock.tmpl
repo1/hooks/pre-unlock.tmpl
repo1/hooks/post-commit.tmpl
repo1/hooks/post-lock.tmpl
repo1/hooks/post-unlock.tmpl
repo1/hooks/post-revprop-change.tmpl
repo1/conf
repo1/conf/svnserve.conf
repo1/conf/passwd
repo1/conf/authz
repo1/README.txt
repo1/db
repo1/db/fs-type
repo1/db/revs
repo1/db/revs/0
repo1/db/revprops
repo1/db/revprops/0
repo1/db/transactions
repo1/db/transactions/0-1.txn
repo1/db/transactions/0-1.txn/cifs7f5
repo1/db/current
repo1/db/write-lock
repo1/db/uuid
repo1/db/format
repo1/format
[eng@fw-2 tintin_data]$
[eng@fw-2 tintin_data]$

Here are the premissions on the offending files:

ls -l db/transactions/0-1.txn/cifs7f5
-rwxrwx--- 1 eng users 0 Jun 21 10:25 db/transactions/0-1.txn/cifs7f5

[eng@fw-2 repo1]$ ls -l db/transactions/0-1.txn/
total 0
-rwxrwx--- 1 eng users 0 Jun 21 10:25 cifs7f5

[eng@fw-2 repo1]$ ls -l db/transactions/
total 0
drwxrwxr-x 2 eng users 0 Jun 21 10:25 0-1.txn

Here is the subversion version:

eng@fw-2 repo1]$ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)
    compiled Mar 23 2007, 09:29:55

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

--

Best regards,
_______________________________________

Re: Using FC6 can't do a svn import on a SAMBA/CIFS share

Posted by Will Appleton <wf...@gmail.com>.
On 6/22/07, jf simon <jf...@themis.com> wrote:

> >> i want to have my repositories on a samba share that i mount from my
> >> FC6 linux host
> >
> > I recommend you do not do that. Many people have tried serving
> > repositories stored on various network shares, and they frequently run
> > into problems. I recommend you move the repository to a disk local to
> > the server. If that works properly, then you have your answer.
> >
> thanks for that device that i will follow: i will have all repositories
> on a local file system. But what about working copies? Is it OK to have
> them on samba shares? that is the svn machine that locally contains the
> repositories mounting samba shares which contains working copies?
> thanks a lot,
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
> _______________________________________
> jean-francois simon - themis computer

We have a few people who use WC's on network shares (shares are exported
from a Windows Server 2003 machine).  This seems to work  but is slow.  What
clients are mounting the SMB shares?  Windows?  or UNIX/Linux?  The reason I
ask is that this seems to work with Server 2003 but sometimes not with
Samba.  I think there's some locking problems with some versions of Samba.
Why not just have the WC's on local drives?  I've advised our users to put
the WC's on their PC's local drives for speed (and so they have access to
their work even when the network isn't available).

-=W=-

Re: Using FC6 can't do a svn import on a SAMBA/CIFS share

Posted by jf simon <jf...@themis.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.