Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric DE MAULDE <er...@free.fr> on 2008/05/26 21:49:02 UTC

direct merging from remore repository/working copy vs svn_load_dirs.pl + merge

Hi,

I read the documentqtion and the FAQ, subject :
" How can I maintain a modified version (a "vendor branch") of third-party software using Subversion?"

My software is OFBiz (Apache), an ERP with a lot of files, and its code is hosted in a remote Subversion repository.
The personnal devolpment  covers around 5 - 10 % of the trunk.

In order to update the trunk and merge it (1 or 2 times a month) with my personal development,
what is the best to use ?

svn_load_dirs.pl ...
+
svn merge ...

or

svn merge -r XXX:YYY http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk customWorkingCopy

How can you import the first official trunk ?
svn export ... officialWorkingCopy
+
svn import officialWorkingCopy svn://localhost/

Thanks

Eric

Re: direct merging from remore repository/working copy vs svn_load_dirs.pl + merge

Posted by Eric DE MAULDE <er...@free.fr>.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm installing SVK

Eric

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 26, 2008, at 16:49, Eric DE MAULDE wrote:

> I read the documentqtion and the FAQ, subject :
> " How can I maintain a modified version (a "vendor branch") of
> third-party software using Subversion?"
>
> My software is OFBiz (Apache), an ERP with a lot of files, and its
> code is hosted in a remote Subversion repository.
> The personnal devolpment  covers around 5 - 10 % of the trunk.
>
> In order to update the trunk and merge it (1 or 2 times a month)
> with my personal development,
> what is the best to use ?
>
> svn_load_dirs.pl ...
> +
> svn merge ...
>
> or
>
> svn merge -r XXX:YYY http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk
> customWorkingCopy
>
> How can you import the first official trunk ?
> svn export ... officialWorkingCopy
> +
> svn import officialWorkingCopy svn://localhost/

You cannot merge across repositories. You can only merge within a
single repository.

So I think only svn_load_dirs.pl is a viable solution.