Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@letsgetnuts.com> on 2009/02/17 23:09:48 UTC

making changes to solr schema after deployed to production

Preface: This is my first attempt at using solr.

What happens if I need to do a change to a solr schema that's already
in production?  Can fields be added or removed?

Can a type change from an integer to a float?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Re: making changes to solr schema after deployed to production

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
It really depends on the change.  Typically, adding fields is fine,
but of course, it means that you will only be able to search those
fields in the new documents.  Other changes often require re-
indexing.  Change the semantics of a field (i.e. changing FieldType)
will require re-indexing.  Think of it like compiling a program.  If
you change a variable from an int to a float, you will need to
recompile.

On Feb 17, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Jonathan Haddad wrote:

> Preface: This is my first attempt at using solr.
>
> What happens if I need to do a change to a solr schema that's already
> in production?  Can fields be added or removed?
>
> Can a type change from an integer to a float?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jon

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/