Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/03 04:00:45 UTC

RE: [DOC] Documentation for CS 4.0

Hi Jamshid,

I shall submit the patch today.

Regards
-Radhika

From: jamshid69@gmail.com [mailto:jamshid69@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jamshid Afshar
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:36 PM
To: Radhika Puthiyetath; Jessica Tomechak
Subject: Re: [DOC] Documentation for CS 4.0

Hi Radhika, do you mind submitting the documentation? Here is the updated format.
Thanks,

Jamshid

Using CAStor Storage Back-end with CloudStack                       01-OCT-2012

This document describes how to use a CAStor cluster as the back-end storage

system for a CloudStack S3 front-end. The CAStor back-end storage for

CloudStack extends the existing storage classes and allows the "storage.root"

configuration attribute to point to a CAStor cluster.

For general information about building and using CloudStack, please consult the

standard CloudStack documentation.

Configuration Steps:

-------------------

1. Install CloudStack 4.0 from source by following the instructions (deploydb,

   deploy-server, and run) in the INSTALL.txt file..

   Tip: You can use the S3 storage system in CloudStack without setting up and

   installing the compute (virtual machine) components.

2. Set "enable.s3.api = true" in console and register a user.

   https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/s3-api-in-cloudstack.html

3. Edit the cloud-bridge.properties file and modify the "storage.root"

   parameter.

   a. Make "storage.root" begin with the key word "castor".

   b. Specify a CAStor tenant domain to which content will be written. If the

      domain is not specified, the CAStor default domain, specified by the

      "cluster" parameter in CAStor's node.cfg file, will be used.

   c. Specify a list of some node IP addresses or set "zeroconf" and the

      cluster name. When using a static IP list with a large cluster, it is not

      necessary to include every node -- only a few in order to initialize the

      client software.

   d. Optional: The last value is a port number on which to communicate with

      the CAStor cluster. If not specified, the default is 80.

   Examples:

     # Static IP list with optional port

     storage.root=castor domain=cloudstack 10.1.1.51 10.1.1.52 10.1.1.53 80

     # Zeroconf locator for cluster named "castor.example.com<http://castor.example.com>"

     storage.root=castor domain=cloudstack zeroconf=castor.example.com<http://castor.example.com>

4. Create the tenant domain within the CAStor storage cluster. If you omit this

   step before attempting to store content, you will get HTTP 412 errors in the

   awsapi.log.

Other Information:

-----------------

This code release makes use of the CloudStack server's local disk to spool

files before writing them to CAStor when handling PUT operations. Even so, a

file must be successfully written into the CAStor cluster prior to the return

of a success code to the S3 client in order to ensure correct reporting of the

transaction outcome.

While not implemented in this code release, the S3 multipart file uploads

semantics will be supported in the future. Proper error reporting is produced

if a multipart upload is attempted.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>> wrote:
Hi Jamshid,

Excellent work.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

You can submit the documentation as a patch to the cloudstack community.
Any of us can pick the patch for review, then submit.

The complete information on how you can submit a documentation patch is given at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+To+Work+With+CloudStack+Documentation. Hope it is helpful.

Alternatively,  I can pick this piece of documentation and submit for review. Let us know how we want to go ahead with documentation submission.

-Radhika