Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2003/06/29 21:54:47 UTC

RE: *Possible Spam *Re: WORA Considered Evil ;-)

> James, then, is addressing concerns different from mine: you're
> playing the
> Notes/iPlanet/Exchange game, a sector of the market I don't care about.
>
> Frankly I use Notes every day, and I'm happy that Brian at VNU is taking
> care of that thing. I'm talking about MTAs, you're talking about "mail
> servers"...

Yeah. Although I can't speak for anyone else my own opinion is that James addresses a real need for an accessable all round mail server.
All the competition seem to require either access to a lot of sysadmin savvy or to $$$, in windows particularly it is hard to find mail servers where you get more than support for two or three acounts without having to spend-spend-spend.

You or Stefano spoke earlier about the mailet API being seen from the start as converging mail and web for the benefit of people providing services using both mediums. I find that James is in a class of its own when it provides the first or last hop for mail into/out of an organisation and represents the first or last opportunity to process that mail. By also providing POP (and IMAP) and full SMTP functionality (not just forwarding to a single gateway) it makes exploiting that opportunity into an achieveable reality, and allows people with java skills and resources to take full advantage of them in the domain of mail handling.

I hope that James *does* become capable of fulfilling the apmail role(s) but I don't think that this is necessary in order to consider James to have been a sucess.

d.