Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Addi <ad...@rocktreesky.com> on 2005/05/23 00:42:24 UTC

Plugin error - no internet available

I have installed the latest 0.7-dev snapshot on my linux laptop.  I did
a forrest seed to create a Test site.  When I try to do forrest to build
it, the build is failing because it cannot get plugins from
http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/.  My laptop does not have any
internet access, nor is it likely to anytime soon, so its not going to
be able to download plugins.  Is there any way for me to download the
plugin files and transfer them to the laptop?  Any other workarounds?

Thanks
Addi

Re: Plugin error - no internet available

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Addi wrote:
> I have installed the latest 0.7-dev snapshot on my linux laptop.  I did
> a forrest seed to create a Test site.  When I try to do forrest to build
> it, the build is failing because it cannot get plugins from
> http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/.  My laptop does not have any
> internet access, nor is it likely to anytime soon, so its not going to
> be able to download plugins.  Is there any way for me to download the
> plugin files and transfer them to the laptop?  Any other workarounds?

The system should have reported the workaround to you.
Look at the messages provided, when you do either 'forrest run'
or 'forrest site'. Essentially, you need to manually download and
install each plugin that you require.

We definitely need to add those notes to the document
http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/plugins/usingPlugins.html

--David

Re: Plugin error - no internet available

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
[moved to dev list, CC'd to users so readers there know the discussion
has moved, replies will go to the dev list]

David Crossley wrote:
> , Mark Eggers wrote:
>
>>Addi wrote:
>>
>>>...be able to download plugins.  Is there any way for me to download the
>>>plugin files and transfer them to the laptop?  Any other workarounds?
>>>

>>I don't know about the snapshot.  If you use subversion to check out the
>>current Forrest environment, you'll get a directory
>>$FORREST_HOME/plugins   In there, you should find the source to all of
>>the plugins.

>>I typically do an svn update, build clean, build, cd to the plugins and
>>then ant local-deploy each plugin.  I wish there was an easier way of
>>building and deploying all of the plugins.   Maybe that's a good
>>candidate for an enhancement suggestion.  Since the plugins exist in the
>>subversion checkout, maybe the main build script could check for the
>>plugins and build them locally (or as a separate ant task).

This would not work for released versions as they do not have the source
available and the whole idea of plugins is to only provide the
functionality needed. There isn't really anything we can do about that,
it is possible for the user to manually download the plugins and they
will never have to repeat this process again since the plugins are
cached locally.

For devs using SVN head or the snapshots we do need something better
than the current approach. It is proposed that the system will look for
the plugin source locally and not require them to be brought into the
build directory of Forrest if they are available. In other words, if you
have the source version of Forrest you would not need the do anything
special, the plugins would be used in place.

However, a quick hack would be as Mark suggests, have the Forrest build
scripts build all the available plugins in the distribution
(FORREST_HOME/plugins and FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/plugins)

So who knows how to make ANT iterate over a set of subdirectories and
call a target on a build.xml file within. A new "local-deploy-all"
target should be added to the plugins build.xml and this should be
called by the Forrest build target.

> Thanks to all those people that are using 0.7-dev and
> providing feedback.

Let me echo that. It is great to see users helping out in this way, it
is a very valuable contribution to Forrest.

Ross

Re: Plugin error - no internet available

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
, Mark Eggers wrote:
> Addi wrote:
> >...be able to download plugins.  Is there any way for me to download the
> >plugin files and transfer them to the laptop?  Any other workarounds?
> >
> I don't know about the snapshot.  If you use subversion to check out the
> current Forrest environment, you'll get a directory
> $FORREST_HOME/plugins   In there, you should find the source to all of
> the plugins.

Great reply Mark.

Your solution to build the plugins locally, does work for the
snapshots too. Everyone has all the source code on their disk.

(On the dev list we will need to ensure that the actual
packaged release of 0.7 can run out of the box.
Thanks for reporting that important issue, Addi.)

> You'll need ant from http://ant.apache.org to build the plugins locally.

Please use the Ant that is packaged with Forrest.
We know that that version works for us, and there is a
huge gotcha if you don't. [1]
  Instead do 'tools/ant/bin/ant local-deploy'
[1] http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html#ant

> Once you have ant installed, just type ant in the plugins directory.
> The default target is local-deploy, which is what you want.  The ant
> script (build.xml) will prompt you for the name of the plugin.  Just
> type the directory name of the plugin you wish to install, and ant will
> build it and deploy it locally.
>
> I typically do an svn update, build clean, build, cd to the plugins and
> then ant local-deploy each plugin.  I wish there was an easier way of
> building and deploying all of the plugins.  Maybe that's a good
> candidate for an enhancement suggestion.  Since the plugins exist in the
> subversion checkout, maybe the main build script could check for the
> plugins and build them locally (or as a separate ant task).

Please tell us what you think is needed. The plugin infrastructure
is not yet released. It has the basic functionality now, and we
can add more/easier ways later.

Such discussion would probably be better on the dev list until
0.7 is released, but we are happy to get feedback anywhere.

> I just checked the latest version of the snapshot, and all the plugins
> are in there as well.  Just cd to $FORREST_HOME/plugins and run ant for
> each of the plugins.
>
> Hope this helps.

It does.

Posted by Mark Eggers <md...@earthlink.net>.
Addi wrote:

> I have installed the latest 0.7-dev snapshot on my linux laptop.  I
> did a forrest seed to create a Test site.  When I try to do forrest to
> build it, the build is failing because it cannot get plugins from
> http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/.  My laptop does not have any
> internet access, nor is it likely to anytime soon, so its not going to
> be able to download plugins.  Is there any way for me to download the
> plugin files and transfer them to the laptop?  Any other workarounds?

I don't know about the snapshot.  If you use subversion to check out the
current Forrest environment, you'll get a directory
$FORREST_HOME/plugins   In there, you should find the source to all of
the plugins.

You'll need ant from http://ant.apache.org to build the plugins locally.

Once you have ant installed, just type ant in the plugins directory.
The default target is local-deploy, which is what you want.  The ant
script (build.xml) will prompt you for the name of the plugin.  Just
type the directory name of the plugin you wish to install, and ant will
build it and deploy it locally.

I typically do an svn update, build clean, build, cd to the plugins and
then ant local-deploy each plugin.  I wish there was an easier way of
building and deploying all of the plugins.  Maybe that's a good
candidate for an enhancement suggestion.  Since the plugins exist in the
subversion checkout, maybe the main build script could check for the
plugins and build them locally (or as a separate ant task).

I just checked the latest version of the snapshot, and all the plugins
are in there as well.  Just cd to $FORREST_HOME/plugins and run ant for
each of the plugins.

Hope this helps.

/mde/