Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kiley Sok via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2022/08/12 04:56:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release 2.41.0, release candidate #1

Hi everyone,
Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 2.41.0,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Reviewers are encouraged to test their own use cases with the release
candidate, and vote +1 if no issues are found.

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* GitHub Release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org [2],
which is signed with the key with fingerprint
4D5731CC0AA38097D091EB091E7B28884452AE5D [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "v2.41.0-RC1" [5],
* website pull request listing the release [6], the blog post [6], and
publishing the API reference manual [7].
* Java artifacts were built with Gradle 7.4 and OpenJDK/Oracle JDK
1.8.0_232.
* Python artifacts are deployed along with the source release to the
dist.apache.org [2] and PyPI[8].
* Validation sheet with a tab for 2.41.0 release to help with validation
[9].
* Docker images published to Docker Hub [10].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

For guidelines on how to try the release in your projects, check out our
blog post at https://beam.apache.org/blog/validate-beam-release/.

Thanks,
Release Manager

[1] https://github.com/apache/beam/milestone/3
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.41.0/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/beam/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebeam-1282/
[5] https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/v2.41.0-RC1
[7] https://github.com/apache/beam-site/pull/633
[8] https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/2.41.0rc1/
[9]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qk-N5vjXvbcEk68GjbkSZTR8AGqyNUM-oLFo_ZXBpJw/edit#gid=331459080
[10] https://hub.docker.com/search?q=apache%2Fbeam&type=image

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.41.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.
I ran some validations and noticed the following.

* Dataflow Java/Python containers now have the suffix "rc1' while for the
previous releases I tested they used to have the same container ID as the
final release. I suspect this is just a process change for Dataflow.

* Spark quickstart keeps failing when I run manually using the instructions
provided in the release guide [1]. All other quickstarts pass. Not sure if
the instructions for running the Spark test is just incorrect. Filed
https://github.com/apache/beam/issues/22728.

Updated the spreadsheet with the tests I ran.

Thanks,
Cham

[1]
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/release-guide/#run-validations-manually

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
I don't think so. The vendored version that Beam depends on has been
published and shouldn't need to be built again. Not sure if our build has
changed so that it builds the vendored stuff as part of the main build as
well, vs pulling it from maven central.

Kenn

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
Just for reference: it looks that it happens only with default package classes [1].

[1] https://github.com/raphw/byte-buddy/issues/1301#issuecomment-1218475514

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Seems like there has been a lot of progress on
https://github.com/raphw/byte-buddy/issues/1301. Since it has been
identified, I think we can be pretty confident that the version downgrade
is the necessary part. So we can revert the PR for the release, then on
main branch we can proceed with unvendoring but keeping the same version.

BTW just noting for the thread that I also checked mvn dependency:tree of
Talend/beam-samples and confirmed that only Beam depends on bytebuddy so it
is not a dependency conflict. I also googled the error message and found
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51650074/apache-beam-invisible-parameter-type-exception
and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5061 where using JDK 10

Posted by Kiley Sok via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.

Posted by Liam Miller-Cushon via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.

Posted by Kiley Sok via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lukavský <je...@seznam.cz>.
I think it is more complicated. I validated the Java SDK with Flink
Runner and it passed through definitely more complex tests than a simple
Pipeline with DoFn [1].

  Jan

[1] https://github.com/datadrivencz/proxima-platform/pull/624

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.