Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Hofmann <mo...@hotmail.com> on 2004/04/01 21:53:34 UTC

Connections

Currently I'm in the process of converting from Perl to Mod Perl.

My server is Redhat Running Apache 1.3.27, Mod Perl 1.26, and Postgre SQL
7.2.4.

I have about 31-35 active process running during the busy hours.

Our system use Perl to generate dynamic pages via the postgre database. 90%
of our pages are generated this way. We have 1 user ID that all public web
request use to access the database.

On the back end I have several admin Perl scripts that we use to update the
database and make changes to item descriptions. There currently 4 people
that use it, and there soon to be 2 more. They each spend 3-6 hours a day
actually entering and changing data.

Currently most of the public side has been converted to Mod Perl. I'm
debating on weather converting the Admin side is going to be good or bad for
the server cause it means persistent 2 connections and I'm not sure how much
load that will put on the server since the majority of the time the server
not using the admin connection.

Hope this kind of makes sense. Mainly I'm looking for advice on the
situation.

David

Re: Connections

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:53:34 -0500
"David Hofmann" <mo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I'm in the process of converting from Perl to Mod Perl.
>
> My server is Redhat Running Apache 1.3.27, Mod Perl 1.26, and Postgre
> SQL 7.2.4.
>
> I have about 31-35 active process running during the busy hours.
>
> Our system use Perl to generate dynamic pages via the postgre
> database. 90% of our pages are generated this way. We have 1 user ID
> that all public web request use to access the database.
>
> On the back end I have several admin Perl scripts that we use to
> update the database and make changes to item descriptions. There
> currently 4 people that use it, and there soon to be 2 more. They each
> spend 3-6 hours a day actually entering and changing data.
>
> Currently most of the public side has been converted to Mod Perl. I'm
> debating on weather converting the Admin side is going to be good or
> bad for the server cause it means persistent 2 connections and I'm not
> sure how much load that will put on the server since the majority of
> the time the server not using the admin connection.
>
> Hope this kind of makes sense. Mainly I'm looking for advice on the
> situation.

  You might want to think about upgrading your PostgreSQL to 7.4.2
  as there have been several bug fixes and huge amounts of performance
  enhancements since the 7.2.4 series.  There are RPMs on the PostgreSQL
  site and all that is required is a dump of the database prior to the
  upgrade and a restore after the update.  I would imagine that any
  increased load by the admin interface would be nullified by the faster
  PostgreSQL.

  Another thing to think about is that while persistent connections
  sound like they are the way to go, I've actually turned them off on
  several high traffic mod_perl+postgresql applications with little to
  no effect.  In fact, in certain circumstances it actually improved
  the overall performance of the UI.

  The time to bring up and tear down a PostgreSQL database connection
  is very small compared to other databases I've used which reduces
  the usefulness of persistent connections.

  Yet another option would be to not use persistent database connections
  on the admin portions of the site, but continue to use them on the
  front end.

Re: Connections

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 14:53, David Hofmann wrote:
> Currently most of the public side has been converted to Mod Perl. I'm
> debating on weather converting the Admin side is going to be good or bad for
> the server cause it means persistent 2 connections and I'm not sure how much
> load that will put on the server since the majority of the time the server
> not using the admin connection.

One thing you could do is just set the admin connections to not be
persistent.  See the Apache::DBI docs.  (I *think* this is documented
now.  Check the list archive if not.)

- Perrin