Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick De Decker <ni...@i-vision.be> on 2002/04/20 20:29:54 UTC

frontpage extensions configuration

Hello,

Thanks for the help about getting frontpage extensions for apache under
linux.
Finally i got them installed.... man that microsoft installscript really
sucks :)

Anyway, now i've got several virtualhosts in my httpd.conf and i install the
frontpage extensions for each virtualhost like this : (frontpage 2002
extensions)

./owsadm.exe -o install -servconf=/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf -xuser
ndedecke -xgroup users -u webadmin -p 80 -m mydomain.com

=> now it installs the following in the docroot of the vhost :
-rw-rw-r--    1 ndedecke inpeach       367 Apr 20 22:04 .htaccess
drwx------    2 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 images/
-rw-------    1 ndedecke users        2451 Apr 20 22:04 postinfo.html
drwx------    2 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 _private/
drwx------    4 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 _vti_bin/
drwx------    2 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 _vti_cnf/
-rw-------    1 ndedecke users        1754 Apr 20 22:04 _vti_inf.html
drwx------    2 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 _vti_log/
drwx------    2 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 _vti_pvt/
drwx------    2 ndedecke users        4096 Apr 20 22:04 _vti_txt/

In the virtualhost section of that host in httpd.conf i got "User ndedecke"
and "Group users" directives.

Now the problem is i can't connect with my frontpage to the server because
the permissions aren't set right.
Who can tell me how i have to set the owner/group of all those directories
and files so that everything runs secure. Should i use the apache user/group
in the -xuser and -xgroup arguments or the user where the virtualhost
belongs to ?

Another thing : in some docs on the ready-to-run site i found something that
said i had to copy some vti_bin with some exe files in it to each
virtualhost, why is that, what exes's, or is this just bull :)

What about apache showing the contents of the special frontpage directories
? i see that frontpage stores the password there so i guess it must be kept
hidden/unreadable :)

Regards,
Nick

Re: frontpage extensions configuration

Posted by Frank Reichenbacher <fr...@mollynet.com>.
Don't copy the exes into the virtual host directories, just set up a
script alias in your virtual host directives pointing to them:

ScriptAlias /_vti_bin/_vti_adm/ /var/www/html/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/
ScriptAlias /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/ /var/www/html/_vti_bin/_vti_aut/
ScriptAlias /_vti_bin/ /var/www/html/_vti_bin

Like so, the extensions won't run without them. It looks to me like the
permissions are set up correctly. However, to be sure, chown
ndedecke:users -fR /path/to/mydomain.com. It has to be owned by the
frontpage user:group, not the apache user:group.

Frank Reichenbacher

Posted by Nick De Decker <ni...@i-vision.be>.
Well i just got them to work properly :
./owsadm.exe -o setadminport -p <PORT> -s<Path/to/your/httpd.conf> -username
<USERNAME>
But umask must be set to 022 or otherwise it wil set the wrong perms on the
scripts, the generated admin-exec directory should contain :
-r-sr-sr-x    1 root     root      4362036 Apr 21 03:31 fpadmcgi.exe*
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 21 03:31 _vti_pvt/

And i also had to change some little obvious things in httpd.conf for the
newly added administration-virtualhost.

Now everything runs smooth, even the client control panel for administrating
their own frontpage-server.

Nick.

Posted by Frank Reichenbacher <fr...@mollynet.com>.
Nick De Decker wrote:

> Hello, thanks for the info.
> I didnt used the apachetoolbox because i allready had i my own install
> script with special dso modules ...
> i used the latest frontpage patch, it worked on 1.3.24 and recompiled my
> httpd with frontpage support.
> Then i downloaded the taball fp50.linux.tar.gz from the microsoft site and
> installed it by using the fp_install.sh script.
>
> After this i can connect with frontpage to the server and make new webs,
> search engine, counter, etc all worked fine, without having to alias
> something.
>
> With ./owsadm.exe -o
> install -servconf=/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf -xuser i can simply
> install the extensions on other virtualhosts, it seems to work.
>
> The only thing now is that i cant seem to get the administrator pages to
> work.
> I used the ./owsadm.exe -o setadminport -p <PORT> -s
> <Path/to/your/httpd.conf> -username <USERNAME> -pw <PASSWORD>
>
> Only problem now is that i cant get passed the authbox for the
> admin-virutalhost (port 8080 in my case) and when i disable authentication
> in htaccess file it gives me an internal server error when i try to execute
> the fpadmcgi.exe script.

I didn't get the admin-virtualhost to work either, but I didn't really
try so I commented out the lines it stuck in httpd.conf. Forget them,
you're better off with the command line controls.

> I'm still stuck with this but i guess it's my suexec that's causing
> problems.
>
> Another thing : How do i have to create my main web in my virtualhosts main
> directory. I mean : when i want to create a new web in frontpage and i
> choose http://mydomain.com/ it complains that i need to specify a
> subdirectory, the result is that all my files are in that directory and not
> in the domain root. It seems this has nothing to do with my server but with
> frontpage itself. I'm not a frontpage user myself, so could someone tell me
> how to get a site on the virtualhost root instead of a subdir ?

I don't get this, I thought you said just above that it installed? What
command(s) did you use and what happens/doesn't happen.

> Do i still need the aliases now that all web components seem to work out of
> the box ?

I guess not.

Posted by Frank Reichenbacher <fr...@mollynet.com>.
Nick,