Posted to user@kudu.apache.org by Zhike Chen <zk...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/17 02:57:17 UTC

it is a good idea to dockerize kudu

Hi,

I am going to deploy a kudu cluster in a production environment. I found out
that there are no binary builds of kudu; it can only build from source or
use
the experimental docker image. Considering build from source and then
install it
natively take a lot of time, I am wondering it is a good idea to dockerize
kudu.
The problem I concern about dockerizing kudu is storage performance loss. I
found out this Docker storage driver benchmarks (last updated October 2017)
https://github.com/chriskuehl/docker-storage-benchmark

Best regards,
Kyle Zhike Chen

Re: it is a good idea to dockerize kudu

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Zhike,

Typically when running software like Kudu in containers, the data volumes
would be bind-mounted, not using aufs or overlayfs, etc. So, there
should be no measurable overhead.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon