Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ian Malone <ib...@cam.ac.uk> on 2005/07/14 15:40:45 UTC

ra_local fails, fsfs, nfs, debian, 1.1.4

Hi, I've googled and checked the faq, but all I could find were
people using Win9x or BDB.  I'm unable to set up a local repository
on an NFS mounted filesystem, and ra_local is failing.  Below is
the full procedure.  /data1/ibm21 is the non-symlinked path to
my home directory.

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
    compiled May 13 2005, 06:29:47

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
   - handles 'http' schema
   - handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
   - handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
   - handles 'svn' schema

$ svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /data1/ibm21/var/repo/
$ svn import /data1/ibm21/var/tree file:///data1/ibm21/var/repo/ -m"Initial"
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///data1/ibm21/var/repo'
svn: Error opening db lockfile
svn: Can't get shared lock on file
'/data1/ibm21/var/repo/locks/db.lock': No locks available

I think this machine is running Debian stable, hence 1.1.4,
I can try compiling 1.2.0 if that would help (I can't install
anything here).  Thanks for your time.

--
imalone

Re: ra_local fails, fsfs, nfs, debian, 1.1.4

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 15, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Ian Malone wrote:

> It turns out that we use a HSM that doesn't support locking,
> hence problem locking.  The administrator has suggested I
> use the local scratch space (not backed up) and do backups
> to my home directory.  This works; although I have to hotcopy
> the repo to the scratch space before doing a normal copy to
> my home directory.  Is that safe?  (I suppose I should add
> "assuming people don't try to commit to the intermediate copy.")

Sure it's safe, 'hotcopy' is only needed if you're trying to copy a
repository that people are actively accessing.  If nobody's
accessing, then all you need is 'cp -R'.

Re: ra_local fails, fsfs, nfs, debian, 1.1.4

Posted by Ian Malone <ib...@cam.ac.uk>.

Posted by Ian Malone <ib...@cam.ac.uk>.
Thanks for the reply.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.