Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by stephen joseph butler <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/12 04:29:47 UTC

HTTPS via the Upgrade header

I'm writing an Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) client at work. The
Java 1.4.2 URLConnection framework isn't robust enough for my needs,
so I'm looking at HttpClient. I've already figured out how I can
create a RequestEntity to wrap my existing IPPOutputStream, so things
are good there!

My question is about HTTPS. If my understanding of the IPP "Encoding
and Transport" document (RFC2910) is correct, IPP uses HTTPS via TLS
by sending the Upgrade header (section 8.1.2 Transport Layer
Security). Looking at the SSL Guide, it seems like HttpClient supports
this: "HttpClient provides full support for HTTP over Secure Sockets
Layer (SSL) or IETF Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocols...".

Can anyone give me a pointer on how to get started? I looked through
the normal docs and test cases, but they all seem to deal with HTTPS
via SSL. Thanks.