Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org> on 2021/09/21 05:00:30 UTC

Refresh advertised roadmap for Apache James ?

Hello all,

I have the impression that the roadmap we advertise on our website is
slightly out of date.

Refreshing and challenging the items part of it would be beneficial.

* * Antora migration*

 -> I believe this should keep on being on our goal.
 -> I think we should further split things, with one sub-module per
application
 -> We could ship the documentation along with the executables of the
application
 -> Given that distributed application documentation is ready, we should
make it available as soon as possible.

Given these strategy changes, I believe we can do quick progress on the
documentation front.

Regarding the roadmap, keep it!

* * Spring upcoming deprecation.*

  -> What we should really do beforehand is promote Guice artifacts.
  -> I think it would benefit from being a standalone item.

Some work had been done on that topic:

 -> Have a ZIP packaging for Guice apps
 -> Use JIB to conveniently build a docker distribution for Guice apps
 -> Group apps in server/apps folder to ease discovery

Hopefully the timeline should look like:

 -> Start shipping Guice artifacts on the download page as part of 3.7.0
 -> (If no issues arise) deprecate Spring artifact as part of 3.8.0
 -> Removal of Spring based artifact in 3.9.0

I propose making this timeline explicit on the website.
*
** * Gradle*

There seem that there was no recent activity on the Gradle front for
some time.

In my opinion we could re-asses this roadmap item, as this sounds likely
not to be delivered on the middle term.
*
** * JMAP RFC-8621*

This specification is mostly implemented and tested with third party
applications. Support is still partial, and upcoming efforts will come
to further bridge the possible gaps.

I refined the corresponding roadmap entry.

* * Blob garbage collector*

As part of JAMES-3150 my team recently worked on the topic and proposed
an implementation suitable for mid-sized deployments.

As I am not expecting further work on the topic soon, I propose to
remove this roadmap entry.

* * Tools to repair projections*

We added such tools for mailboxes, mailbox counters, messages, quotas,
ElasticSearch... Remains secondary concern projections, for whom I am
not expecting progress to be made.

As the state of the arts tools are likely satisfying, I propose to also
remove this roadmap entry.

* * Sum up*

The following pull request puts the proposed changes together:
https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/664

Best regards,

Benoit

Re: Refresh advertised roadmap for Apache James ?

Posted by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello,

On 21/09/2021 12:00, btellier@apache.org wrote:
> [...]
>
> * * Spring upcoming deprecation.*
>
>   -> What we should really do beforehand is promote Guice artifacts.
>   -> I think it would benefit from being a standalone item.
>
> Some work had been done on that topic:
>
>  -> Have a ZIP packaging for Guice apps
>  -> Use JIB to conveniently build a docker distribution for Guice apps
>  -> Group apps in server/apps folder to ease discovery
>
> Hopefully the timeline should look like:
>
>  -> Start shipping Guice artifacts on the download page as part of 3.7.0
>  -> (If no issues arise) deprecate Spring artifact as part of 3.8.0
>  -> Removal of Spring based artifact in 3.9.0
Raphael proposed to issue James 4.0.0 on that occasion.

This is something I do support and (I think) already proposed in the past.

I will modify my proposal accordingly.

Best regards,

Benoit