Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chapoor Chapoor <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/18 17:02:46 UTC

CMS and JAAS

Hi,

I m stucked in a security authentication/authorization issue, which I hope
you have some advice for me.

In simple words, I want to use the Web container security (for
authorization) together with my own JAAS implementation (for
authentication).

How to achieve this ?

I don't want to use the BASIC, FORM, CLIENT-CERT etc auth-methods. I want to
by pass these and hit my JAAS login model.
The reason is that we collect user information in different way, by an
exchange with the user in a front filter.

I cant get this to work, even though that I have configured my loginmodule,
user, role and configured the JAASRealm in Tomcat,

This is how I want to do it (in theory).
1. User enters a URL (e.g. /mycontext/cars/),
2. The SecFilter gets triggered, which ends by exchanging user information,
3. The MyLoginModule gets called with user information
4. User is been looked up and get assigned a User/Role Principals.
5. Login is OK
6. Now the web container security can take place and checks in web.xml if
this user is-in-role to call /cars url.

I've searched the entire web but could not see any good article about this.
Am I the only one who wants to by-pass the auth-methods but still can
provide good authentication and "standard" web-authorization.

(I've seen some work-around such as:
http://www.kopz.org/public/documents/tomcat/jaasintomcat.html but this is a
work-around, which I dont like).

Please advice,

Thank you for reading, and sorry for the long email.

Re: CMS and JAAS

Posted by Chapoor Chapoor <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

I want to do my own authentication (in this case using JAAS) because the
available once are not sufficient. The requirement are so, and I cant go
deep in those.

So the basic, form, client-cert are not OK to use for authentication.
That is why I do my own servlet/filter that will call the login context
"myapp" which uses JAAS.

After this I want to notify the container so it in some way can recognize
that there is a user, (in getremoteuser, isuserinrole, etc). In this case I
will be able to use the authorization provided from the container. Not only
on web level but also later I could use the roles down in Ejb container.

I want to keep the declarative security as much possible as it can be.

Thank you

RE: CMS and JAAS

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.

Re: CMS and JAAS