Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/25 19:51:45 UTC

Re: [SPAM] Removing %key contribution syntax

Localization is one of the most important, and under-implemented,
aspects of web applications.  Tapestry has always had excellent
support for localization, and as Tapestry 3.1 is refactored around
HiveMind 1.1, I want to ensure that we can continue to support
localization.

The key issue is that each request (in each thread) will be for a
different user and potentially in a different locale.  The emphasis in
3.1 and beyond is to move application logic into HiveMInd ... but we
still want to be able to produce error (and other) messages in the
user's preferred locale.

HiveMind's mandate, to be contained within a single JVM, gives us the
tool (threaded server model) to track the user's domain through the
presentation layer (Tapestry) and into the application layer
(HiveMind services) ... something that is awkward to accomplish in the
nomral EJB-style layering (without considerable forethought).

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:29:44 -0500, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I'm all for completely removing the Locale stuff from the registry
> altogether.  So, you know I'd be for this, since it's a step in that
> direction.  I just don't understand why we need to muddy up a dependency
> injection (or IoC) container with localization stuff.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

RE: [SPAM] Removing %key contribution syntax

Posted by Hal Hildebrand <ha...@hellblazer.com>.
Got my vote.  I'm all for keeping things focused and simple.  It'd be a pity
if Hivemind bloated up much more.

I understand the importance of localization and I agree that it is often
overlooked.  My point is that localization isn't a key feature for a
dependency injection container and shouldn't be woven into the core
framework.  I would recommend that we come up with a highly configurable and
easy to use localization framework (or service) and include it with HiveMind
in the hivemind-lib.

Localization is one of the most important, and under-implemented,
aspects of web applications.  Tapestry has always had excellent
support for localization, and as Tapestry 3.1 is refactored around
HiveMind 1.1, I want to ensure that we can continue to support
localization.

The key issue is that each request (in each thread) will be for a
different user and potentially in a different locale.  The emphasis in
3.1 and beyond is to move application logic into HiveMInd ... but we
still want to be able to produce error (and other) messages in the
user's preferred locale.

HiveMind's mandate, to be contained within a single JVM, gives us the
tool (threaded server model) to track the user's domain through the
presentation layer (Tapestry) and into the application layer
(HiveMind services) ... something that is awkward to accomplish in the
nomral EJB-style layering (without considerable forethought).

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:29:44 -0500, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I'm all for completely removing the Locale stuff from the registry
> altogether.  So, you know I'd be for this, since it's a step in that
> direction.  I just don't understand why we need to muddy up a dependency
> injection (or IoC) container with localization stuff.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

RE: [SPAM] Removing %key contribution syntax

Localization is one of the most important, and under-implemented,
aspects of web applications.  Tapestry has always had excellent
support for localization, and as Tapestry 3.1 is refactored around
HiveMind 1.1, I want to ensure that we can continue to support
localization.

The key issue is that each request (in each thread) will be for a
different user and potentially in a different locale.  The emphasis in
3.1 and beyond is to move application logic into HiveMInd ... but we
still want to be able to produce error (and other) messages in the
user's preferred locale.

HiveMind's mandate, to be contained within a single JVM, gives us the
tool (threaded server model) to track the user's domain through the
presentation layer (Tapestry) and into the application layer
(HiveMind services) ... something that is awkward to accomplish in the
nomral EJB-style layering (without considerable forethought).

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:29:44 -0500, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I'm all for completely removing the Locale stuff from the registry
> altogether.  So, you know I'd be for this, since it's a step in that
> direction.  I just don't understand why we need to muddy up a dependency
> injection (or IoC) container with localization stuff.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Fwd: [SPAM] Removing %key contribution syntax

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Localization is one of the most important, and under-implemented,
aspects of web applications.  Tapestry has always had excellent
support for localization, and as Tapestry 3.1 is refactored around
HiveMind 1.1, I want to ensure that we can continue to support
localization.

The key issue is that each request (in each thread) will be for a
different user and potentially in a different locale.  The emphasis in
3.1 and beyond is to move application logic into HiveMInd ... but we
still want to be able to produce error (and other) messages in the
user's preferred locale.

HiveMind's mandate, to be contained within a single JVM, gives us the
tool (threaded server model) to track the user's domain through the
presentation layer (Tapestry) and into the application layer
(HiveMind services) ... something that is awkward to accomplish in the
nomral EJB-style layering (without considerable forethought).

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:29:44 -0500, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I'm all for completely removing the Locale stuff from the registry
> altogether.  So, you know I'd be for this, since it's a step in that
> direction.  I just don't understand why we need to muddy up a dependency
> injection (or IoC) container with localization stuff.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship