Posted to users@hop.apache.org by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/10 20:42:36 UTC

Re: Documentation

Hi All,

I have created a first draft for the new structure for the documentation
and would love some feedback.
The new Lay out can be found here:
https://hop.apache.org/manual/New%20Layout/index.html

Please note that only the structure has changed (left hand side), the
content does not match the structure and some links will not work as
expected. I would first like to have some feedback and will then proceed in
changing all the pages.

I have a feeling the new structure is more user oriented and less
confusing, as a general rule of thumb I kept everything at max 3 levels
deep (who would dig even further? I know I wouldn't) and sorted them in
what I hope is a logical order.

Cheers,
Hans

Re: Documentation

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback!

Another small remark from the chat :
nadment: You should add the VFS concept below variable

I will proceed with moving everything to the new structure, create
placeholders for new content and create tickets so we can follow up.

Cheers,
Hans

Re: Documentation

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
One more change we can make to improve the user experience for the
documentation and the entire website is to make the dropdown menu headers
(docs and community) clickable.

This would not only give us high level and easy to remember urls (
https://hop.apache.org/docs, https://hop.apache.org/community).
We can use the landing pages behind those urls to provide some more
guidance.
For the docs, this could be a quick one line explanation of what to expect
in the user/tech/dev/... docs, offer pdf versions copies for download, link
to different doc versions etc.

Regards,
Bart

Re: Documentation