Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2002/02/25 23:41:07 UTC

Recasting Apache license

License question.

I am going to recast standard Apache license to change the definitions
of copyright holders to our project team. Now, the problem is that the
project site, objectstyle.org , is not an officially registered
foundation like Apache. Can it be a copyright holder? Is this legally
binding to anyone? I can't just put my name on it, since it was a
collaborative work of a group of developers.

Any suggestions how to handle situations like that?

Re: Recasting Apache license

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
We did this originally for POI and used Marc/me and the POI
contributers.  I just got each to agree that it could be transferred to
ASF before accepting donations.  (because POI was originally intended to
all be part of cocoon but that is a really long boring story)...  I'm
not sure of all of the legality but it is what every APL project on
sourceforge does.  ("why invent when you can steal" - paraphrase of M$)

-Andy

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 17:41, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> License question.
>
> I am going to recast standard Apache license to change the definitions
> of copyright holders to our project team. Now, the problem is that the
> project site, objectstyle.org , is not an officially registered
> foundation like Apache. Can it be a copyright holder? Is this legally
> binding to anyone? I can't just put my name on it, since it was a
> collaborative work of a group of developers.
>
> Any suggestions how to handle situations like that?

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document
                            format to java
			- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Recasting Apache license

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>
wrote:

> I am going to recast standard Apache license to change the
> definitions of copyright holders to our project team. Now, the
> problem is that the project site, objectstyle.org , is not an
> officially registered foundation like Apache.

I think the original license - before the Apache Software Foundation
has been founded - said copyright by "The Apache Group", even though
there hasn't been a legal entity of that name.  Not sure wether this
has been legaly binding.

Isn't this waybackmachine.org site cool?  See www.apache.org from
1996: <http://web.archive.org/web/19961028114216/www.apache.org/>

The license back then: