Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Kramer <da...@thekramers.net> on 2004/11/19 15:06:48 UTC

Can the .svn file be somewhere else?

Someone told me you can do this.  I can't imagine how that would work, and
can't find anything like that in the documentation or FAQ (Yes, I RTFMed),
but I thought I would give it a shot.

The reason I ask is that both my friend and I want to use Subversion for
Linux config files.  The problem is that some directories under /etc are
expected to contain a list of files that need to get processed, like the
cron directories and the rc.* directories.  I think the scripts would
choke on the .svn directories.

Re: Can the .svn file be somewhere else?

Posted by Anthony Metcalf <an...@anferny.ath.cx>.
I keep /etc under subversion control on two systems. They have been like that for 2 months now, (approx 60+ revisions each). With updates every day.

YMMV but it's happy for me.

I have nothing excluded except a few mtrg files that don't get added to the repo as they are temp files (god only knows why they are put in /etc and not var)

Anthony

RE: Can the .svn file be somewhere else?

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.
Although it's possible that files and directories starting with "." will be
ignored.  E.g., "for file in /etc/* ; do ... ; done" will ignore /etc/.*, as
a wildcard has to match a leading "." explicitly.

Dale