Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM> on 2007/11/08 03:57:43 UTC

AR1 Release Notes

Here's a cut at content for the Release Notes.  Looking
for any additions/corrections.

Big thanks to JohnM for the input on logstore.

thanks -Jim

   Apache River release v2.1.1  Release Notes

This first release from the Apache River project is based on the
contributions of Sun's Jini Technology Starter Kit (Starter Kit) v2.1
and Service UI from Artima.  The release focuses on merging the
two contributions together, structuring separate src and bin releases,
and amending the source and documentation naming/versioning/etc
to the Apache River project.

Some points of note:

* NOTICE file and source license headers updated

* Source and documentation updated for release name ("Apache
    River release") and version ("v2.1.1")

* Graphical installer (which was a 3rd party application in the
    Starter Kit) is no longer available

* The combined source and binary release in the Starter Kit has
    been separated into two releases:  src and bin

* The "logstore" implementation of com.sun.jini.outrigger.Store has
    been removed

    The persistent version of Outrigger relies on a pluggable
persistence
    layer, <code>com.sun.jini.outrigger.Store</code>. Previous releases
    of the Starter Kit included two implementations of the Store
interface,
    logstore.

    Logstore has been around in various forms since the 1.0 version of
    Outrigger. Snapstore was introduced in v2.1 of the Starter Kit.

    The v2.0.n releases of the Starter Kit used logstore as the
default Store
     implementation, this release has no default Store. In order to
switch an
     existing set of configuration files, security policy files,
etc., from using
     logstore to snaplogstore, you will need to change the
     <code>com.sun.jini.outrigger.store</code> configuration entry
(or add a
     store configuration entry if you don't already have one) to yield a
     <code>com.sun.jini.outrigger.snaplogstore.LogStore</code>
object. You
     will also need to ensure that <code>outrigger-snaplogstore.jar</
code> has
     been granted sufficient permissions (see Outrigger's package
documentation
     for a sample security policy file.).

     Note that depending on the nature of your application
snaplogstore can
     have a significantly different performance profile than logstore.

     The storage formats used by snaplogstore and logstore are mutually
     incompatible.

Re: AR1 Release Notes

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 8, 2007 4:57 AM, Jim Hurley <Ji...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Here's a cut at content for the Release Notes.  Looking
>> for any additions/corrections.
>
> Also, how about including a boilerplate project description at the beginning:
>
>    Apache River is aimed at the development and advancement of the
>    Jini technology core infrastructure. Jini technology is a service
>    oriented architecture that defines a programming model which both
>    exploits and extends Java technology to enable the construction of
>    secure, distributed systems which are adaptive to change.
>
> This gives better context to people who're only seeing the release
> notes (for example by receiving just the release announcement through
> a generic announce mailing list).

Normally I have such a description only in the README, but now that you
mention it I think it is good to have it in the release notes as well,
at least it won't do any harm.
--
Mark

Re: AR1 Release Notes

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Nov 8, 2007 4:57 AM, Jim Hurley <Ji...@sun.com> wrote:
> Here's a cut at content for the Release Notes.  Looking
> for any additions/corrections.

Also, how about including a boilerplate project description at the beginning:

   Apache River is aimed at the development and advancement of the
   Jini technology core infrastructure. Jini technology is a service
   oriented architecture that defines a programming model which both
   exploits and extends Java technology to enable the construction of
   secure, distributed systems which are adaptive to change.

This gives better context to people who're only seeing the release
notes (for example by receiving just the release announcement through
a generic announce mailing list).

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: AR1 Release Notes

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Nov 8, 2007 4:57 AM, Jim Hurley <Ji...@sun.com> wrote:
> Here's a cut at content for the Release Notes.  Looking
> for any additions/corrections.

The release notes should contain the incubation disclaimer:

    Apache River is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
    Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator. Incubation is
    required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
    indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
    process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
    ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
    of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
    the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

BR,

Jukka Zitting